A nationwide reflection for those killed in the Christchurch terror attack will be held tomorrow, Friday 22 March, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has announced.
The Muslim Call to Prayer at 1.30pm will be followed by a two-minute silence at 1.32pm, at Hagley Park, opposite the Al Noor Mosque in Deans Ave, Christchurch. This will be broadcast widely with New Zealanders encouraged to join in wherever they may be.
“I know many New Zealanders wish to mark the week that has passed since the terrorist attack and to support the Muslim community as they return to mosques,” Jacinda Ardern said.
“How we choose to reflect during the silence will be different for each of us. Everyone should do what feels right for them, wherever they are – at home, at work, at school.
“Planning is also continuing for a National Memorial Service, which will be held later next week.
“While it will be in Christchurch, we’re looking at how we can involve the rest of New Zealand.
“I appreciate there is significant interest in this Service from throughout New Zealand and internationally, and we will continue to work closely with the local Muslim community, Ngāi Tahu, FIANZ and Christchurch City Council to provide more information as soon as we can.
“As a nation, as one, we will pay our respects to those who died in Christchurch,” Jacinda Ardern said.
Woman listed as the murder victim of the shooting attack actually alive
Police have issued an apologising after wrongly listing a woman as the named murder victim of the mosque shootings when she was actually alive.
The alleged gunman appeared in court last week where he faced one charge of murder, for a woman whose name was suppressed. Further charges are expected to be laid in time.
The woman was connected to the shootings, but was still alive. Police say they have spoken to her and apologised and the charge sheet will be amended.
“An error was made in the charging document prepared for the first court appearance of the man charged with murder in relation to the Christchurch terror attacks. The error saw an incorrect victim name included in the charging document,” said a NZ police spokesperson.
“We have spoken with the person incorrectly named on the charging document and apologised.
“The charge sheet will be amended.
“New Zealand Police regret this error and apologies for any harm caused by the mistake.”
The mistake was spotted by a reporter for Stuff when they were trying to add up the number of those killed and kept reaching a total of 51 names – including the woman on the charge sheet – though police insisted the total was 50. They discovered the error was due to the named woman being alive.
Bush is now praising the police officers who brought the suspected gunman into custody. He says it took just 20 minutes for them to intervene and bring the man into custody, from when the attack started.
That’s a new number for us, previously we were told it took more than 30 minutes for the arrest to occur, but Jacinda Ardern said yesterday that the time was even shorter than police had previously said.
“I can tell you that every available armed resource responded so quickly to that event and our people acted with absolute courage with in 20 minutes to intervene with that person and bring them into custody.
“It was a very evolving, fast-moving event. That vehicle was identified by the two officers we know of and they acted with absolute courage, in fact, putting the safety of the public before their own to make that happen. I am hugely proud of what they did.”