We’re looking for an experienced engineer to help build our financial engine. You will collaborate with domain experts to design, build, test, and own systems and processes for servicing 401(k) plans and making our customers happy. As reliability is key to earning our customers’ trust, you will build robust systems that are observable, maintainable, and scalable.
What you’ll do:
- Build and maintain business-critical software to look after our clients’ retirement savings
- Make engineering tradeoffs, and own the decisions you make
- Think about processes and systems and how to automate work done manually
- Share knowledge across the team through documentation, talks, etc.
- Advocate for and delight internal and external customers
- Work with a range of technologies - you might encounter Node, TypeScript, React, Heroku, AWS, PostgreSQL, and various legacy systems (but don’t need to have prior experience with them)
You may be a good fit if:
- You have experience writing and maintaining software in production
- You communicate well verbally and nonverbally with engineers and non-engineers alike
- You enjoy learning new skills and growing
- You exercise curiosity and ask questions
- You have experience working in startups or fintech
- You have strong empathy
- You proactively work to fix problems
Please apply if you don't match everything above! We are more interested in talent and trajectory than qualifications or knowledge.
Why Work With Us?
Human Interest is a Y Combinator-backed company that offers an easy and affordable 401(k) retirement plan for the modern workforce. We believe that all individuals deserve the opportunity for a secure financial future, and we've built an automated, paperless 401(k) that makes it possible for small and medium-sized businesses to offer a 401(k) benefit to their employees -- something that only 14% of them are able to do today.
Human Interest is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran or military status, or any other characteristics protected under federal, state, or local laws.
- We’re a Series A startup, and we count hundreds of businesses all over the United States as our lovely customers. We're proud to be working with business owners and employees who are doing amazing work across a variety of industries: technology, construction, retail, medicine, nonprofit, and many more!
- We have a world-class team from diverse backgrounds, each with a track record of success. We come to work every day knowing we're working on an important problem: helping people save for retirement at a critical time when pensions are going extinct and Social Security isn't enough.
- You'll be given autonomy and many responsibilities, all while working with a fun and passionate team of entrepreneurs. Above all, you'll help us solve the #1 financial concern for Americans: not having enough money for retirement.
Human Interest acknowledges the fundamental value and dignity of all people. We're proactive and purposeful in prioritizing diversity and inclusion internally not only because it's the right thing to do, but also because we believe it's the only way to effectively create products and services that can be truly helpful to all people.
We've pledged ourselves to developing and maintaining an environment that respects diverse traditions, ideas, heritages, and experiences, where all are welcome and accepted. We're committed to honoring our differences by accepting nothing less than equitable treatment of all applicants and employees.
As an employee benefits company, benefits are very important to us, and Human Interest's philosophy is to be generous when it comes to employees' wellness. Here's what we currently offer:
- A great 401(k) plan: our own! Our 401(k) includes a dollar-for-dollar employer match up to 4% of compensation.
- Top-of-the-line health insurance plans, as well as dental and vision insurance, with premiums fully paid for by the company.
- An annual membership to One Medical Group, with membership fees paid by Human Interest.
- Tax-free commuter benefits, with the company contributing $30/month.
- FSA with an employer contribution of $500 per year.
- Dollar-for-dollar match of employee donations to 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations, up to $500 per year.
- Parental leave policy
- Primary caregivers: 16 weeks PTO
- Secondary caregivers: 8 weeks PTO
- Time off can be taken any time within the first 12 months of the child's birth
- Office just a short walk away from Montgomery BART and MUNI
- Regular team offsites, retreats, and fun events
- Healthy snacks and drinks, including the highest quality coffee and teas
- Financial literacy education
We have a very particular philosophy when it comes to perks. We believe employer funds are best spent on making our team bond and be more productive, while also investing in the long-term physical, financial, and emotional well-being of our employees.