The Muse is the most trusted and beloved career platform, connecting individuals and companies on a more authentic level. We support over 75 million people looking to craft meaningful careers through TheMuse.com and our employer partners. Smart companies work with us to attract today’s top talent, giving candidates the information they need to find the company that is right for them. Why? Because life’s too short to hate your career.
The Muse is seeking a talented Director of Analytics & Business Intelligence who is deeply curious, business minded, and passionate about the power of data to inform high impact decisions. You’ll report directly to the co-founder & President, and be the most senior data leader at the company, partnering with every team and executive. Join our team of Musers who believe in making the world of work better, and are motivated by solving tough problems that make a difference in users’ lives.
The majority of the team is headquartered in New York, NY (37th & Broadway).
How You’ll Make an Impact
- You’ll raise the bar as we leverage large datasets to drive our business, our clients’ business, and our impact on individual consumers’ career
- You’ll own the design, development, and maintenance of scalable solutions for ongoing metrics, reports, analyses, dashboards, etc.
- You’ll work very closely across all teams to provide valuable data-driven insights and recommendations, including:
- with our product management team to define what success looks like for our products and new features, and how we measure it
- with the product, marketing and content teams to understand our consumer base and develop strong hypotheses around how we can continue to grow and evolve it
- with the sales, account management and finance teams to improve revenue predictions and identify profit drivers
- You will become an expert in The Muse’s large dataset, understanding the key levers in our business and driving optimization and growth.
- You’ll identify consumer trends based on data and make recommendations on product opportunities
- You’ll proactively provide regular updates on company KPIs, conduct analysis and flag anomalies. In addition, you’ll ensure that all stakeholders have access to reliable and accurate dashboards and reporting as required to operate their areas of business, creating standard metrics reporting and delivering on ad hoc requests.
- You’ll develop queries and visualizations for ad-hoc requests and projects, as well as ongoing reporting. Specifically, own all SQL, Looker and Google Analytics functions – ad hoc, recurring, troubleshooting
- You’ll monitor and work with engineering and revenue operations to troubleshoot operational or data issues in the data pipelines
- You’ll manage a Senior Business Intelligence Analyst, and serve as a senior subject matter expert and mentor for Looker and SQL across the org, including helping teams become more self-sufficient with requests
Why We’ll Love You
- 5+ years experience in business intelligence/analytics, and at least 1-2 years experience managing a team
- You have demonstrated strong business acumen and the ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams in a fast-paced environment and ambiguous workspace. Proven ability to solve complex quantitative business challenges
- Proficient in SQL and at least one scripting language, Python preferred
- Experience with business intelligence platform tooling; experience with Looker a plus
- You excel at translating basic business problem statements into analysis requirements and working with internal customers to define the best output based on expressed stakeholder needs
- Comfort leading and evangelizing a data-driven culture that is built around rigor and quality, and yet are comfortable with uncertainty
- Strong verbal/written communication & data presentation skills, including an ability to effectively communicate with both business and technical teams, from executive leadership to the company as a whole
- You're collaborative, diplomatic and humble. You have no problem rolling up your sleeves and running queries or answering BI tickets yourself
- Ability to influence others, strong attention to detail, excellent organization skills, and ability to manage multiple projects and responsibilities are critical to success in this position
- You're curious, know when you’re not at the bottom of the problem and will scratch under the surface with the right questions and explore the data to get to the best answer or solution
- HR Tech, ad-tech, content or marketplace industry a plus
- And finally, you have passion and empathy for job seekers—you’ve been there too and want to be a part of building a better experience and changing the industry for the better
Why You’ll Love Us
- You’ll be surrounded by a collaborative team that is working together to reshape the future of work.
- We move fast, with product releases every day and an iterative approach to developing new features and measuring their success. We experiment across the org and aren’t afraid to try new things
- You’ll work at a tech company founded by two badass women—Our founders believe transparency is important so they really try to share as much as they can about changes to The Muse strategy, board meetings, and when they are wrestling with big company-wide decisions.
- The Muse actually has—and sticks to—a “no assholes” policy, so you can come to work every day knowing you will always be surrounded by good people who genuinely care about you.
- We invest in growing our people—personally and professionally
- We offer unlimited vacation—and we mean it!
At The Muse, we believe that great ideas come from anywhere. We support a collaborative environment and value open participation from individuals with different ideas, experiences, and perspectives. We believe having a diverse team makes The Muse a more interesting and innovative place to work, and we strive every day to make The Muse a welcoming and inclusive place for all.
If this could be your dream job, please submit a cover letter and resume, so we can get to know you a little better.