Nurx is looking for a thought leader to launch and oversee a new research group within the company focused on applying machine learning tooling to improve the effectiveness of the Nurx medical team. Our intent is to apply the large database of patient information we have gathered to streamline the process of diagnosing disease, reduce side effects of treatment, and streamline our growing primary care practice.
Unlike other positions within our engineering team, the Machine Learning team will focus on developing our long range roadmap for machine learning across our platform, and work closely with our medical directorate to define how machine learning can improve the quality of care. You will also have direct responsibility to build and implement the first generation algorithms, enabling us to test their accuracy and fitness for our clinical practice.
As a vertically integrated primary care platform, our engineering team builds both the tools our patients use, as well as our nurses, doctors, and pharmacists. You will have the opportunity to work directly with each group, as well as our product engineering teams to implement your solutions and measure their effect directly in a clinical environment.
For qualified candidates, this position also includes the opportunity to collaborate with our medical team to publish research on our own patient dataset and development efforts to help advance the practice of machine learning in healthcare.
This position reports directly to the Vice President of Engineering, who oversees all engineering, data science, and machine learning research at the company, and will be responsible for hiring and developing a small team of research scientists, data engineers, and software developers to implement and test your ideas.
What you’ll do:
- Work closely with a cross-functional team, including our medical advisory board, to define a strategic research roadmap.
- Build a world-class research and development organization to lead our machine learning efforts.
- Identify practical ways machine learning tools can improve provider effectiveness.
- Collaborate with our product engineering teams to implement your team’s research into our platform.
- Hire a cross-disciplinary team of research scientists, data engineers, and software developers.
- Develop a strategic roadmap for our machine learning efforts, with a focus on launching a production model within your first year.
- Publish research on your findings (qualified candidates only).
- Work closely with our product engineering teams to adapt research models and techniques into our at-scale production environment.
A bit about you:
- A PhD (preferred) or advanced degree in machine learning, data analytics, high performance computing, computer science, mathematics, or another relevant field.
- Experience working in or closely with academic teams working on original research.
- Extensive experience with data analytics and tooling, including the ability to mine large datasets independently.
- Fluency in at least one programming language (including, but not limited to, Python, Java, or R).
At Nurx, we’re creating a future where healthcare is easily accessible and affordable for everyone and building software that empowers people to be in control of decisions about their own health.
Our platform enables doctors to give patients personalized care at lower costs and prescriptions delivered straight to their door. We are committed to disrupting the healthcare system and increasing access to healthcare for millions across the country, starting with birth control, PrEP, and HPV screens.
And we need you to help us continue to make this happen.
- Talented and collaborative team who will both support and challenge you.
- Market competitive salary and equity.
- Medical, dental, commuter, wellness, and engineering technology benefits.
- 401(k) retirement plan.
- Paid holiday, vacation, and sick leave.
- Take what you need vacation (and we really mean it!).
This position is full-time and tentatively based in San Francisco, CA. We are looking for the right leadership, so we are geographically flexible. If based remotely, we will establish a satellite office to support you and your team.