Bringing friends to your island lets you meet new villagers, cultivate hybrid flowers, and learn unique crafting recipes. And of course, you can share beautiful island experiences — perfect for social distancing.
To get started adding and playing with friends on "Animal Crossing," you both need a Nintendo Online subscription and an internet connection. You can then invite friends to your island from your Nintendo Switch Friend List, or you can bring over guests by sending one-time invites in the form of unique "Dodo Codes" generated by the game.
How to add friends in 'Animal Crossing' through a Switch code
Add someone to your Switch Friend List
You can bypass this step and use a one-time Dodo code invite instead (see below). However, adding users to the Friend List on your Switch can be handy for knowing when your friends are actively playing "Animal Crossing," thus available for co-op play. It'll also let you connect to them more easily in the future.
1. Each Nintendo Switch user has a unique "Friend Code," a 12-digit number preceded by the letters "SW." The code can be found on the "Profile" section of your account.
2. Select the "Friend List" category within your account page, and tap "Add Friend," then "Search with Friend Code."
3. After you've entered their code and found the other "Animal Crossing" player you want to invite to your island, shoot them a friend request, and upon their approval, they'll be added to your Friend List.
How to open your island to online visitors
Next, you have to make your island available for online play by "opening the gate" at the airport. Head there and speak to the receptionist, Orville.
1. Tell Orville "I want visitors" when he asks how he can assist you.
2. Select the "Via Online play" option when Orville asks how you want to invite someone to your island. Make sure you have an internet connection at this stage.
3. When asked who to invite, select the "All my friends" option.
From there, your gate will physically open, signifying that your island is ready for visitors.
Although anyone on your Friend List can hop over as long as the gate remains open, your gameplay will remain the same.
How to add a 'Best Friend' after hosting an island visitor
Upon having your first conversation with Orville about inviting guests, he'll mention and install the Best Friends List app onto your Nook Phone.
After a visitor has been to your island, you each have the option to request one another as a Best Friend. If accepted, you'll be added to each others' Best Friends List, and be given new privileges when visiting, like use of a shovel.
That means you might have to be careful who you add as a Best Friend. If a visitor is coveting your Blue Roses on the first trip, they'll have the privilege of digging them up on a future visit to your island as a Best Friend.
How to invite a friend to your 'Animal Crossing' island using a Dodo Code
1. To use a Dodo Code, initiate the same conversation with Orville at the airport, telling him "I want visitors."
2. Select the "Invite via Dodo Code" when asked who you want to invite.
3. You can elect to invite just friends from your Switch Friend List, or anyone with the "The more the merrier!" option.
4. Orville will give you a five-character Dodo Code. This is the code you give anyone who you want to visit your island.
If you don't want people to use the code anymore, just tell Orville to shut the gates. That'll make the code expire.