Daily news majors are the essential source of cryptocurrency information. It is a good habit to start your day with reading at least one of them. If you scan through 2–3 daily news sites, you will notice that publishers cover the same topics. We’d say that 70% of news topics are the same across all sites. However, the remaining 30% of unique content is valuable. In our experience, reading top-3 publishers is enough to find all major news.
There are plenty of outlets in this category. The most straightforward way to rank them is by site traffic. We found the correlation between content quality and site popularity. Top-3 sites are CoinDesk, Cointelegraph, and CCN.
Traffic of daily crypto news sites in October 2018, millions of visits
If you want to pick one daily crypto news publisher, CoinDesk is no-brainer.
It has been around since 2013 and holds #1 place by site traffic. CoinDesk’s content quality and delivery speed is slightly better than of its counterparts.
Sponsored articles are almost non-existent on CoinDesk. Probably that is because CoinDesk earns enough money on its Consensus conference that gathered 8,500 attendees in 2018. According to Axios, CoinDesk generated $20mn revenue in 7 months, 2018.
CoinDesk has a branch in South Korea. Apart from providing nice texts in Korean language, it enables CoinDesk to be the first to receive crypto news from Korea. This country is one of the epicentres of DLT movement, so fresh news from Korea is a nice benefit.
Cointelegraph is our #2 source. It has a reasonable portion of unique content (it is still low but it is industry standard unfortunately).
Speaking of geographical angle, Cointelegraph sometimes posts interesting pieces about developments in Germany. They are likely to have some local editors there, which is good. There is also a German version of the site.
Marketing articles are tagged with clearly visible badges “sponsored”.
Illustrations they use for articles are somewhat childish in our view, but that is a matter of taste. While they provide well-versed content, we can tolerate the pics.
We rank CCN #3 in our crypto daily news list. It is a nice and reputable source though.
We noticed that CCN sometimes highlights crypto developments in Russia, Ukraine and Eastern Europe that are not covered by other publishers. It is an important argument for us to include CCN in our reading list.
CCN takes all sponsored press releases out of their main feed. You would find them in the column to the left of the main feed.
CCN has a sibling called Hacked. Hacked is primarily concerned with trade signals, ICO analysis and other esoteric stuff.
Obviously, there are a number of smaller daily crypto news sites. To name some of them: Bitcoinist (y), NewsBTC (y), NullTX (n), ETHnews (?), Cryptovest (y) and others. Smaller resources may occasionally publish nice unique pieces. However, that would happen very infrequently. Moreover, the smaller the outlet is, the less it cares about its reputation. Regrettably, all publishers with (y) tag compromised themselves in Breaker’s investigation.
However, even reading top-3 outlets does not guarantee the absence of hidden marketing. We often encounter articles that are not tagged sponsored but look promotional. We are not going to speculate about examples — make your own observations. Our concluding remark: be cautious and avoid resources that compromised themselves.
For casual reading — pick CoinDesk. For more serious approach read all three daily majors, but be ready to find 15 new articles in each of them and invest 1–2 hours daily.