With disease levels spiking and theaters still closed, the Mouse has made the no-doubt painful decision to drop its big winter animated release, Pixar’s Soul, straight to Disney+, forgoing theaters (and hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue) entirely. It’s hard to be too happy about the circumstances—but on the other hand, maybe now is exactly the time for a movie with this message.
Soul (premiering Dec. 25) stars Jaimie Foxx as a talented musician who dies suddenly and accidentally winds up not in the afterlife, but in the beforelife—the place where souls hang out until they are born on Earth. There, he has to convince a reluctant soul that its life-to-come will be worth the struggle. (Considering the year we’ve had, I’m not so sure I agree.)
Otherwise, Disney+ is adding a few more original films to its meager content lineup this month, celebrating the season with a Frozen-themed Yule Log, and finishing off the second season of The Mandalorian. Here’s the full rundown.
- The Mandalorian (Season finale 12/18)
- On Pointe (Docu-series premiere 12/18)
- The Wonderful World of Mickey Mouse
- Big Sharks Rule
- Godmothered (Disney+ Original premiere)
- Man vs. Shark
- The Nutcracker and the Four Realms
- Sky High
- Disney Channel’s Epic Holiday Showdown
- Disney Holiday Magic Quest
- Gender Revolution: A Journey with Katie Couric
- High School Musical: The Holiday Special (Disney+ Original premiere)
- Ralph Breaks the Internet
- Safety (Disney+ Original premiere)
- Arendelle Castle Yule Log
- Buried Truth of the Maya
- Cosmos: Possible Worlds (Season 1)
- Disney Channel Holiday House Party
- Disney Parks Sunrise Series (Season 1)
- Disney Rapunzel’s Tangled Adventure (Season 3)
- Dory’s Reef Cam
- Eddie the Eagle
- Into the Woods
- Miraculous World: New York, United Heroez
- Burrow (Disney+ Original Pixar short film premiere)
- Max Keeble’s Big Move
- Soul (Film premiere)
This post is updated every month with new Disney+ listings.
Joel Cunningham is the managing editor of Lifehacker. He lives in Brooklyn and occasionally goes outside.