Following on from the previous blog post, I started on the path of build a Linux From Scratch distribution. The project offers two paths one using traditional Sys V init and systemd for the other. I opted for systemd route and followed the guide, it was all very straight forward. Essentially you fetch a bunch of source archives off the internet, run tar, configure, make, make test, make install a bunch of times with some system setup in between, before compiling your kernel, putting it into place in /boot and getting grub installed and configured.
The book assumes that you have a system running Linux already and you have spare space which you use for a new partition to install your linux distro that you built. I opted to create a 10GB file which I mounted via loopback instead, with the intention of using it as the boot disk of a virtual machine.
The guide has 11 chapters which takes you through building software on the host, as a new user (for a clean environment), then in a chroot with three iterations of GCC and binutils builds. With each software component that you’ll build, the guide instructs you on how to run their test suite, what failures should be expected and why, before performing an install.
For each component that you build, the guide documents why a patch is applied and what the configure options specified mean. At the end of each section all the installed components are documented, followed by a short description of each item. Unfortunately the dependencies are not documented but sort of implied by the order which things appear in the guide.
Chapter 8 is the most laborious with a hefty 71 packages to install/reinstall. End result is a fully fledged environment with Autotools, Perl, Python, TCL, GCC, Vim, various libraries, compression tools. If you follow the guide every step of the way, it should work a-ok in the end, providing the test suites passed as expected at each stage.
After I finished all 11 step, I had to convert my flat file which I created with
dd(1) to a format which VirtualBox would recognise as I wasn’t sure if any of the supported formats was a flat file with a new file extension) and it was quicker to convert it to a vmdk file than work through the list to see. First try it made it to the GRUB menu which was nice.
Followed by a panic as I guessed the wrong device node to specify as root in my
A re-edit of the config to specify the device node hinted in the kernel panic and I made it to the login prompt.
At this point I began thinking how much trouble I could get into by substituting or omitting components and started a fresh new build.
The Early History of Smalltalk,” ACM SIGPLAN Notices Volume 28, March 1, 1993
LFS round #2 started life with nawk instead of gawk, no bash installed but mksh is
/bin/sh, BSD make instead of GNU make. No Perl, Python, TCL, gettext, bunzip, xz. BSD make got swapped for GNU make on the first step as it wasn’t happy about its
sys.mk that was installed but will be revisited. I made it back to chapter 8 quickly (look ma, less dependencies) and things began to fall part with rebuilding Glibc, turns out it really wants bison, Python, gawk not nawk. Glibc also really wants bash as well but its configure test is happy with mksh and it passes. It became apparent it wanted bash when running the test suite as some tests call /bin/bash specifically and stop when it is not found. At this point my environment began behaving strangely so I exited the chroot and I couldn’t get back in. Running strace on chroot showed that calls to
execve() were returning
ENOENT. Rebuilding glibc from the host environment allowed me to get back into the chroot once again, at which point I installed bash. For glibc’s Python dependency, I decided to treat it as part of the bootstrap kit as it seems to be a build dependency. Python got built without shared components (
--disable-shared) and installed it in a separate prefix with the plan to remove it after the system is built. From glibc I jumped to building binutils in my chroot and again things came tumbling down during the test suite run. It was not happy about finding
libgcc_s, despite the system being aware of it in its
ld cache but I haven’t had a chance to investigate any further. I feel very much lost in the bazaar but I’m having fun. 🙂