Need to make room on your iCloud account? Apple provides just 5 GB of free storage space, which is not enough online storage unless your needs are very modest. You have two choices: You can upgrade your iCloud subscription to get more space, or delete unneeded items from iCloud. You can save a lot of space by deleting your largest apps from iCloud.
All your iPhone or iPad apps and their program data are automatically backed up to iCloud, but you can save a lot of storage space by deleting your largest apps from the iCloud backup list.
1. Start the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad and tap your account name at the top of the page.
2. Tap "iCloud" and then tap "Manage Storage."
3. Tap "Backups."
4. On the Backups page, you'll see the list of your Apple mobile devices. Tap the name of the device you are currently using.
5. After a moment you should see a short list of apps appear in the "Choose Data to Back Up" section. These are the five apps which take up the most space on iCloud. Tap "Show All Apps" to see all the apps installed on your device.
6. To delete an app, swipe its button to the left and then confirm by tapping "Turn Off & Delete" in the pop-up window.
How to delete apps from iCloud on a Mac
Your Mac can also use iCloud for storing some apps.
1. Click the Apple icon at the top left of your desktop and choose "System Preferences" in the dropdown menu.
2. In the Preferences window, select "Apple ID." Enter your Apple ID password if necessary.
3. To the right of the iCloud Storage bar at the bottom of the window, click "Manage..."
4. In the pop-up window, click the app you want to delete from the pane on the left and then follow the directions in the main pane. In most cases, you can click "Turn Off and Delete," though in some cases you might need to take other steps, such as deleting files in Finder.
How to delete apps from iCloud on a PC
2. Start the iCloud app and then click "Storage" to the right of your iCloud storage bar.
3. In the pop-up window, click the app you want to delete from the pane on the left and then follow the directions in the main pane. Most apps will have an option to "Delete Documents and Data," while other apps might provide different instructions.
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
Insider Inc. receives a commission when you buy through our links.