Able Health is looking for Senior Software Engineers to build delightful features and improve the reliability of our systems as we rapidly scale our product and organization.
We are looking for engineers who understand that simplicity and reliability are aspects of a system that can’t be tacked on but are carefully calculated with every decision made. You’ll have the opportunity to work on a team that values collaborators over cowboys, creativity over closed-mindedness, diversity and inclusivity, and sustainable pace over fire-fighting.
About Able Health
Able Health’s mission is to support a continuously improving US healthcare system. Our platform helps doctors earn incentives from health plans for delivering better care. We’re a well-funded healthcare startup backed by Y Combinator and located in downtown San Francisco (remote positions are also available).
What you’ll do
- Build a new feature, with unit tests, that can support our large-and-growing user base.
- Whiteboard a fix to a scaling problem — and then make it happen.
- Collaborate with peers to write, review, or provide feedback on a technical design proposal.
- Help our skilled engineering team triage and solve bugs.
- Contribute to internal tools that help us improve our development process, manage our users, and scale our systems.
Who we’re looking for
- You have curiosity about how things work.
- You are a strong communicator with emotional intelligence. Explaining complex technical concepts to product managers, support, and other engineers is no problem for you.
- You have experience with Ruby on Rails.
- You have experience with functional RSpec, Mocha, Jasmine, or similar test frameworks.
- You can jump into situations with few guardrails and make things better (but that said, automated testing is important to you).
- You write understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability.
- You know how the web works. You know HTTP and TCP/IP and what a good API looks like.
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval.
- You know how to build reliable and safe distributed systems and understand the tradeoffs made when engineering a feature.
- You able to assess “build vs buy” as part of your engineering strategy.
- When things break — and they will — you are eager and able to help fix things.
Extra nice things to have
- Experience on Agile software teams
- Knowledge of health-related domains
- Experience in regulated or certified privacy and security environments (e.g. HIPAA, HITRUST, PCI)
- Solid competency with SQL
- Desire to mentor and teach junior colleagues
- Experience in small start-up environments
Our core product is written in Ruby/Rails, stores data PostgreSQL, and deploys to systems running in Aptible on AWS. Our team prefers battle-tested technology whenever possible. If you are more interested in the problem than the tooling you will be in good company.
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage for you and your dependents
- Competitive salary
- Equity in an pre-Series-A, Y-Combinator-backed startup with customers
- Opportunity to impact patient care and the daily lives of healthcare professionals
- Working in a team with high EQ that values diversity