The Trump administration's decision to spend Pentagon funds on the US-Mexico border wall was illegal, a federal appeals court ruled
A federal appeals court ruled on Friday that the Trump administration's decision to spend Pentagon funds on a US-Mexico border wall was illegal. The administration's actions violated the Constitution's Appropriations Clause, which gives Congress power to direct the spending of federal funds, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals said. A 2019 Supreme Court ruling that allowed the Trump administration to begin spending diverted Pentagon funds on the border wall raises questions over the impact the 9th Circuit's Friday decision will have. Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The Trump administration broke the law in its decision to spend Pentagon funds on a wall along the US-Mexico border, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals said in a 2-1 ruling on Friday. The federal appeals court said the administration's actions violated the Constitution's Appropriations Clause, which says all federal spending must be specified in laws written by Congress. "Here, the Executive Branch lacked independent constitutional authority to authorize the transfer of funds," Judge Sidney Thomas said in his opinion. "These funds were appropriated for other purposes, and the transfer amounted to 'drawing funds from the Treasury without authorization by statute and thus violating the Appropriations Clause.'" A 2019 Supreme Court ruling that allowed the Trump administration to begin spending diverted Pentagon funds on the border wall while related lawsuits made their way through the court system raises questions over the impact the 9th Circuit's Friday decision will have. A number of other legal challenges have been made in an attempt to stop the Trump Administration from using Pentagon funds on border-wall construction, including one that is pending before the US Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit. In January, the Trump administration said it would spend $7.2 billion of Pentagon funds allocated for other purposes on the US-Mexico border wall after Congress approved only $1.4 billion for the project in its 2019 and 2020 federal budget. The Trump administration had first asked for $5 billion but backed off that request during the government shutdown of 2018 and 2019. The administration had already redirected around $3.6 billion designated for military construction toward the border wall in 2019 after President Donald Trump declared a national emergency in which he claimed that criminal activity was being facilitated by travel across the border. The decision was criticized by both Democratic and Republican lawmakers at the time.
Read more: TikTok teens are organizing to mass-report Trump's social media accounts A megachurch in Arizona that hosted Trump this week falsely claimed that its air filtration system could kill '99% of COVID in 10 minutes' 20 artists who have spoken out against President Trump playing their music at his events 'He divides us': Tulsa residents are wary of Trump's rally — and the national spotlight SEE ALSO: 19 photos from Texas, where the governor paused the next stage of reopening as coronavirus cases surge Join the conversation about this story » NOW WATCH: Tax Day is now July 15 — this is what it's like to do your own taxes for the very first time
More like this (3)
A three-judge panel of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals refuses to lift an injunction barring...A three-judge panel of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals refuses to lift an injunction barring President Trump from shutting down the census count early.
Hearing chairman: Trump has no strategy to protect peopleMaxine Waters: Cain contracted virus after attending Trump...Hearing chairman: Trump has no strategy to protect peopleMaxine Waters: Cain contracted virus after attending Trump rallyPlan to slash $600 lifeline threatens misery for millionsJoin us for an online event with Eric Holder to discuss voter suppression in the 2020 election, next Thursday at 5pm ET. Register nowSign up to our First Thing newsletter 11.39pm BST A court on Friday upheld a decision ruling adult film star Stormy Daniels cannot sue Donald Trump for defamation over a tweet he published about her in 2018.Daniels, whose legal name is Stephanie Clifford, accused Trump of defaming her after he publicly cast doubt on her claims she was threatened by a man in a Las Vegas parking lot for attempting to go public with her affair with Trump. Guess who just scored an appellate victory for use of SLAPP laws in federal court to combat frivolous libel claims. That would be Donald Trump (represented by Charles Harder). I’m serious... pic.twitter.com/27tqEekP0k 11.22pm BST The Supreme Court on Friday declined to halt the Trump administration’s construction of portions of the border wall with Mexico as proceedings over its legality continue.The vote means the wall will continue to be built until the judgement is heard, which could be until after the November election, and follows a recent lower court ruling that the administration improperly diverted money to the project. Continue reading...
Trump criticizes a Texas border wall segment that is said to be eroding, claiming that it was constructed to make him 'look bad'
President Donald Trump on Sunday said in a tweet that he "disagreed" with the construction of...President Donald Trump on Sunday said in a tweet that he "disagreed" with the construction of a privately-funded South Texas border wall portion that was reported to be falling apart just months after it was erected. The roughly 3-mile wall segment, built in January by North Dakota-based Fisher Industries with financial contributions from conservative nonprofit We Build the Wall, is said to have cost $42 million. "It was only done to make me look bad, and perhsps [sic] it now doesn't even work," Trump said of the border project. Tommy Fisher, CEO of Fisher Industries, said in a statement to Associated Press on Sunday that Trump "just got some misinformation on this stuff" and pledged that the wall "will stand for 150 years." Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories. President Donald Trump on Sunday criticized a portion of a South Texas border wall that had been built using funds raised by his supporters, saying that the wall was constructed "to make me look bad." The structural issues were reported on by ProPublica The Texas Tribune last week. According to the report, experts say the privately-funded border wall located along the shores of the Rio Grande "is showing signs of erosion that threatens its stability." The roughly 3-mile wall segment, built in January by North Dakota-based Fisher Industries with financial contributions from conservative nonprofit We Build the Wall, is said to have cost $42 million. We Build the Wall, which counts former Trump strategist Steve Bannon as a chairman on its advisory board, has raised over $25 million on the crowdsourcing platform GoFundMe to help construct several sections of the US-Mexico border. According to the ProPublica and Texas Tribune report, a federal judge called for an inspection of the eroding border wall portion last week. In May, a US agency found that the wall violated a treaty with Mexico by diverting water in a way that could worsen flooding. Trump on Sunday said in a tweet that he "disagreed" with the construction of this border wall portion by using a private contractor. "I disagreed with doing this very small (tiny) section of wall, in a tricky area, by a private group which raised money by ads," Trump tweeted. "It was only done to make me look bad, and perhsps [sic] it now doesn't even work. Should have been built like rest of Wall, 500 plus miles." Tommy Fisher, CEO of Fisher Industries, said in a statement to Associated Press on Sunday that Trump "just got some misinformation on this stuff." "The wall will stand for 150 years, you mark my words," Fisher said. Trump has been advocating for stronger protections along the US-Mexico border as a cornerstone of his presidential campaign. He has previously promised on several occasions that Mexico would pay for the border wall. The Trump administration has said it would replace 450 to 500 miles of the border wall by the end of 2020, though officials were skeptical about the feasibility of this goal. According to CNN, Trump is financing the border restorations through a combination of US taxpayer money and the diverting of military funds. Join the conversation about this story » NOW WATCH: Inside London during COVID-19 lockdown