Human Interest is a Y Combinator-backed company that offers an easy and affordable 401(k) retirement plan for the modern workforce. We've built an automated, paperless 401(k) that makes it possible for small and medium-sized businesses to offer a 401(k) benefit to their employees -- something that only 14% of them are able to do today. In doing so, we're empowering businesses of any size to safeguard the financial futures of their employees.
Human Interest is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran or military status, or any other characteristics protected under federal, state, or local laws.
Please apply if you don't match everything below! We are more interested in talent and trajectory than qualifications or knowledge. We're looking for an experienced technical leader equally comfortable architecting systems, shipping code, and making our systems and engineering efforts faster and safer over time by addressing areas like test coverage, maintainability, simplicity. You'll lead high impact projects, sometimes across multiple teams; not only as a chief implementor, but also as a mentor and strategist. This means your work will have a direct and outsized impact on our company's success. You'll help us ship great product, resolve tech debt, and create an even more psychologically safe and inclusive space.
You'll be joining a highly collaborative engineering culture. We have an Architecture Review Board that regularly meets and discusses how to prioritize paying down technical debt. We set aside 20% of the team's time for doing this. We also love pair programming, in-depth code reviews, and documenting our work.
What you'll do:
- Contribute directly to high-impact projects of key importance to our business, across the organization
- Support teams in day-to-day development as a technical mentor
- Lead prioritization of work related to technical debt and improving our platform
- Work with engineering management to identify ways to improve our implementation, integration and delivery pipelines
- Learn and embrace the staggering complexity of payroll deduction-based investment and law translated to business rules!
You may be a good fit if:
- You love, and/or hate, the tools and systems you work with, and you are among the most experienced with them
- You bring with you a track record of proven (in production) good design decisions. And bad, with stories
- You communicate articulately in writing and speech
- You're a “wide acceptor” of many different communication styles
- You're on the Engineer-swing of The Engineer/Manager Pendulum
- You love making (and re-making) easily understandable and changeable code
- You cut scope with great zeal and fairness
Fun problems for you to work on:
- Refine our data and domain modeling — have we mentioned the complexity?
- Scale our systems with refactoring and pragmatic operational choices (we're on Heroku - will we always be?)
- Bake observability even further into our specs and code and operations
- Refine and establish metrics, SLOs and SLAs around everything
Technologies we use:
- Front-end: React, Baobab, GraphQL, Sequelize
- Cloud: Heroku (and a hacked buildpack for headless Chrome), Amazon S3
- Persistence: PostgreSQL + pgAnalyze with a bit of Redis
- Security: TweetNaCl, scrypt
- Legacy: Tonnnnnnns of interfacing with other systems via CSVs and SFTP
Why Work With Us?
- We just closed our Series A round of funding, and we count hundreds of businesses all over the United States as our lovely customers. We're proud to be working with business owners and employees who are doing amazing work across a variety of industries: technology, construction, retail, medicine, nonprofit, and many more!
- We have a world-class team from diverse backgrounds, each with a track record of success. We come to work every day knowing we're working on an important problem: helping people save for retirement at a critical time when pensions are going extinct and Social Security isn't enough.
- We believe that all individuals deserve the opportunity for a secure financial future. We want idealistic and talented people to join our team of doers and builders.
- You'll be given autonomy and many responsibilities, all while working with a fun and passionate team of entrepreneurs. Above all, you'll help us solve the #1 financial concern for Americans: not having enough money for retirement.
Diversity and inclusion help us do better as a business, and we deliberately build processes to create a workplace where all are welcome and accepted. We're proactive and purposeful in prioritizing diversity and inclusion internally not only because it's the right thing to do, but also because we believe it's the only way to effectively create products and services that can be truly helpful to all people.
Human Interest acknowledges the fundamental value and dignity of all people. We've pledged ourselves to developing and maintaining an environment that respects diverse traditions, ideas, heritages, and experiences. We're committed to honoring our differences by accepting nothing less than equitable treatment of all applicants and employees.
As an employee benefits company, benefits are very important to us, and Human Interest's philosophy is to be generous when it comes to employees' wellness. Here's what we currently offer:
- A great 401(k) plan: our own! Our 401(k) includes a dollar-for-dollar employer match up to 4% of compensation.
- Top-of-the-line health insurance plans, as well as dental and vision insurance, with premiums fully paid for by the company.
- An annual membership to One Medical Group, with membership fees paid by Human Interest.
- Commuter benefits (use pre-tax money to pay for public transportation, with the company contributing $30/mo)
- FSA with an employer contribution of $500 per year.
- Dollar-for-dollar match of employee donations to non-profit 501(c)(3) organizations, up to $500 per year.
- Healthy snacks and drinks available at our office.
- Parental leave policy
- Primary caregivers: 16 weeks PTO
- Secondary caregivers: 8 weeks PTO
- Time off can be taken any time within the first 12 months of the child's birth
- Office just a short walk away from Montgomery BART and MUNI
- Conference room with video games and couches!
- Regular team offsites retreats and fun events
- Well-stocked snack kitchen
- The highest quality coffee and teas
We have a very particular philosophy when it comes to perks. We believe employer funds are best spent on making our team bond and be more productive, while also investing in the long-term physical, financial, and emotional well-being of our employees.