Ruby Princess crew members clapped and cheered from their balconies as the first of their workmates finally began to disembark the troubled cruise ship in New South Wales to fly home.At least 49 crew members from six countries disembarked from the ship, which has been docked at Port Kembla for more than two weeks following a Covid-19 outbreak. NSW Police has said more crew members will disembark in coming days, but hundreds will remain on board and return with the ship to its port of origin.The Ruby Princess initially docked in Sydney in March, when the ship's passengers and some crew disembarked.It has since been linked to at least 21 deaths and hundreds of coronavirus cases across AustraliaAustralia coronavirus liveSee all our coronavirus coverage Continue reading...
More like this (2)
Australian authorities seized the Ruby Princess' black box after a coronavirus outbreak was linked to the cruise ship
Australian authorities have seized the black box of the Ruby Princess cruise ship, according to an...Australian authorities have seized the black box of the Ruby Princess cruise ship, according to an AFP report. After being allowed to disembark from the ship on March 19 in Sydney, Australia, Ruby Princess passengers have since been linked to hundreds of COVID-19 cases. The COVID-19 Cruise Tracker currently puts the ship at the Port of Kembla, and The Guardian reported that around 1,040 crew members remain onboard. Carnival Australia did not immediately respond to Business Insider's request for comment. Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories. Australian police have raided the Ruby Princess, a Princess Cruises ship linked to a deadly outbreak of COVID-19. According to AFP, New South Wales Police's criminal probe into Carnival centers around whether any laws were broken when around 2,700 Ruby Princess passengers were permitted to disembark from the ship in Sydney on March 19. Those passengers have since been linked to hundreds of COVID-19 cases and 15 deaths. Princess Cruises is a subsidiary of the Carnival Corporation. Carnival Australia did not immediately respond to Business Insider's request for comment. AFP reported that officers donning personal protective gear seized the ship's black box on April 8. The ship is currently docked in Port Kembla, according to the COVID-19 Cruise Tracker. Around 1,040 crew members remain onboard. The Guardian reported that Australian police officers will also be questioning Ruby Princess crew members onboard. Currently, around 200 crew members have symptoms of the coronavirus. So far, 18 individuals have tested positive for COVID-19. "Police officers entered the Ruby Princess to gather evidence... ships have a black box very similar to international planes and that and other evidence has been seized," NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said, as reported by the AFP. Are you a cruise ship crew member or passenger? Email email@example.com.SEE ALSO: Lawsuit accuses Costa Cruise Lines of hiding a suspected case of coronavirus and jeopardizing 2,000 guests on the Costa Luminosa Join the conversation about this story » NOW WATCH: What it takes to be a first-class flight attendant for Emirates
Yet another Princess Cruises line ship is testing crew members for the new coronavirus, the Associated...Yet another Princess Cruises line ship is testing crew members for the new coronavirus, the Associated Press reported. The Caribbean Princess is not allowed to dock in Fort Lauderdale until the CDC clears it. Two of the crew members were transferred from the Grand Princess, where there are now multiple confirmed COVID-19 cases. Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories. The Caribbean Princess cruise ship will not be allowed to dock until crew members on board are tested for the novel coronavirus, the Associated Press reported. Two crew members were transferred from another Princess Cruises ship, the Grand Princess, which is currently docked in Oakland, California. The Grand Princess had to wait off the coast of California for several days as people on board were tested for the new coronavirus. Last week, at least 21 people tested positive, including 19 crew members. A previous passenger died from the virus, which forced the ship to cut the planned course and begin testing people on board. The Center for Disease Control has put the Caribbean Princess on a "no-sail order;" it has to stay on the coast of Fort Lauderdale, Florida, until further notice. The transferred crew members do not currently show any symptoms but are being isolated in their own rooms as a precaution. It's not yet known how many passengers and crew are on this ship, but they wont be able to disembark until the ship is able to dock. This weekend, the Regal Princess was finally able to dock in Fort Lauderdale, after two crew members who came from the Grand Princess cruise ship tested negative, according to the AP. The Diamond Princess was quarantined off the coast of Japan for almost a month in February. More than 700 people on the ship contracted the novel coronavirus that causes the disease COVID-19. Six people who were aboard the Diamond Princess died. Passengers who disembarked from the Diamond Princess were either sent to hospitals for treatment or were quarantined for an additional two weeks. Those who disembarked on Monday from the Grand Princess will also go into quarantine or be treated for the virus. The State Department advised Americans not to go on cruise ships amid the coronavirus outbreak, on Sunday. The CDC also warned against people with underlying health conditions or the elderly from going cruises. As of Monday, the US reported 26 deaths among more than 750 cases. Globally, more than 113,000 people have been infected and more than 4,000 have died. Read more: The coronavirus-stricken Grand Princess cruise ship just docked in Oakland. Crew members will stay onboard, while passengers are quarantined on military bases. 6 people from the Diamond Princess cruise ship have died from the coronavirus The State Department says people shouldn't go on cruises amid the coronavirus outbreak Join the conversation about this story » NOW WATCH: Jeff Bezos reportedly just spent $165 million on a Beverly Hills estate — here are all the ways the world's richest man makes and spends his money