'LAND OF THE FREE': Protester wears US Navy uniform and refuses to leave the ocean amid beach closures
A man wearing the US Navy uniform went to the oceanfront in Emerald Isle, North Carolina, on Thursday, in an apparent protest against the town's restrictions amid the coronavirus pandemic. Mike Conner, a longtime resident of Emerald Isle and a surfer, told Insider the retired sailor stood in the waters for about 10 minutes before he was approached by law enforcement officers. The man was asked to remove himself from the area but refused the request. At least 24 people tested positive for the coronavirus and two have died as of Friday, county officials said. Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
A man wearing the US Navy uniform went to the oceanfront in Emerald Isle, North Carolina, on Thursday, in an apparent protest against the town's restrictions amid the coronavirus pandemic. The man, who was identified by a witness as a retired US Navy chief, was seen photographed standing in front of a sign that read "LAND OF THE FREE." Mike Conner, a longtime resident of Emerald Isle and a surfer, told Insider the retired sailor stood in the waters for about 10 minutes before he was approached by law enforcement officers. Conner said the man was asked to remove himself from the area, but refused the request. The sailor eventually left the water on his own accord without incident, Conner added. The man wore the full Navy Service Dress Blue, which is made from wool and is allowed to worn year-round to all official, formal events. The price for the full uniform is well over $300, which includes stitched rank and a service cover. The man in the uniform and the Emerald Isle Police Department did not respond to a request for comment. Hours after the incident, the town announced it would lift the ban on access on Saturday. Surfers and other residents previously expressed their disapproval by staging protests throughout the area and were "fired up" by the closures, Conner said. "We're very happy that Emerald Isle allowed access not just to us swimmers, but to everybody that uses it as a medium for their exercise," Connor said. "We don't want our rights stomped all over." "Emerald Isle residents and property owners will be able to access the Atlantic Ocean for normal activities, including swimming, surfing, kiting, kayaking, and fishing," the town said in a statement. "Residents can continue to walk, jog, and sit on the beach strand. All beachgoers must adhere to the current social distancing guidelines." At least 24 people in the county tested positive for the coronavirus and two have died as of Friday, officials said, according to WCTI-TV. Other beaches have begun opening as states have eased their stay-at-home restrictions. In Jacksonville, Florida, crowds were seen gathering at the beach on Friday afternoon. Although recreational activities are being permitted at some of the beaches, sunbathing and other group activities will not be allowed during operational hours.Join the conversation about this story »
More like this (3)
Police divers and a remote underwater vehicle team are looking for the surfer who went missing...Police divers and a remote underwater vehicle team are looking for the surfer who went missing at Kelp Beds beachA search has resumed for a surfer who was mauled by a shark near Esperance in Western Australia.The man could not be found after being attacked just before 11am on Friday at Kelp Beds beach. Another surfer tried to pull him from the water but was unable to do so, the WA premier, Mark McGowan, said. Continue reading...
Thousands of Burning Man fans violated social distancing laws to hold their own festivals in the Nevada desert and on California beaches
Summary List PlacementThe coronavirus pandemic led 2020's Burning Man, planned for the week leading up to...Summary List PlacementThe coronavirus pandemic led 2020's Burning Man, planned for the week leading up to Labor Day, to go virtual for the first time in 30 years. But this didn't stop thousands of fans from holding their own makeshift festivals. Despite social distancing guidelines and restrictions on in-person gatherings, crowds of Burning Man's most avid fans were spotted celebrating the festival on beaches in San Francisco and in the Nevada desert, where the event's Black Rock City fairground customarily sets up each year. Videos on social media capturing the illegal gatherings — including one Saturday on San Francisco's Ocean Beach with over 1,000 people reported — led to fierce criticism of attendees' disregard of the pandemic. Other photos showed similar gatherings with music and campfires on San Francisco's Baker Beach, as well as cars and RVs camped out in the Nevada desert. Joining in on the condemnation was San Francisco Mayor London Breed, who took to Twitter to call attendees "reckless" and "selfish" for crowding the city's beaches. Last night, over 1,000 people crowded on Ocean Beach to celebrate Burning Man. This was absolutely reckless & selfish. You are not celebrating. You are putting people's lives at risk. You are putting our progress at risk. No one is immune from spreading the virus. — London Breed (@LondonBreed) September 6, 2020 Ahead of Burning Man's final night on Sunday, Breed said San Francisco police were stepping up their patrols and closing Ocean Beach's parking lot to prevent another large gathering. Although California's Bay Area was celebrated early on in the pandemic for taking precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19, the area started to see an massive uptick in reported cases in July and August. There are nearly 100,000 cases reported in the San Francisco area as of Monday afternoon. Nevada's Bureau of Land Management, which oversees the area including Black Rock City, told news outlets it was "aware" of campers gathering in the desert, but said they were allowed to do so as long as they adhered to social-distancing rules. Burning Man Project, the organization behind the festival, released a statement late Sunday night urging those "honor[ing] Burning Man culture" to "refrain from gathering unsafely in large groups." The music and arts festival regularly draws more than 80,000 attendees each year, including crowds of affluent influencers and Silicon Valley techies, who set up a temporary miles-wide campsite in the Nevada desert called Black Rock City that can be seen from space. However, Burning Man organizers said in April they would be holding the event virtually this year, and offered refunds to those who had already bought tickets. Burning Man was also a recipient of a large loan through the federal Paycheck Protection Program set up to help businesses stave off the economic toll of the coronavirus pandemic. According to filings, Burning Man received between $2 million and $5 million in PPP loans.SEE ALSO: Walmart, Microsoft, and Oracle are just some of the companies jostling to buy TikTok. Here's who is, who isn't, and why they might want it. Join the conversation about this story » NOW WATCH: What makes 'Parasite' so shocking is the twist that happens in a 10-minute sequence
US military finds amphibious assault vehicle that sank off the coast of California, as well as troops' remains
The US military has located the Marine Corps amphibious assault vehicle that sank off the coast...The US military has located the Marine Corps amphibious assault vehicle that sank off the coast of California last week. Additionally, human remains were identified at the site. One Marine was pronounced dead shortly after the incident occurred. Another 7 Marines and one sailor who were initially considered missing have since been pronounced dead. Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories. The US military has found the Marine Corps amphibious assault vehicle that sank off the coast of California in a deadly incident last week and discovered human remains, the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force said in a statement Tuesday. The Marines announced last Friday that one Marine was killed and eight service members were missing after the AAV mishap off the coast of Southern California the day before. In a press conference later that day, Lt. Gen. Joseph Osterman, the I MEF commanding general, told reporters that the AAV was carrying 15 Marines and one Navy sailor when it sank. He said the assumption is that the heavy tracked vehicle "went all the way to the bottom." On August 2, the Marine Corps said that it was calling off search and rescue operations for the 7 Marines and one sailor who were missing after the accident. It said that the missing were presumed dead. @USNavy Undersea Rescue Command confirmed human remains were identified with remotely-operated video systems aboard HOS Dominator, an undersea search & rescue ship. The Navy has expedited the movement of assets to recover the remains of the Marines and Sailor, and raise the AAV. pic.twitter.com/qAK62CMitV — I MEF (@1stMEF) August 4, 2020 The sunken AAV was discovered Monday. Following the discovery of the sunken vehicle, the Marines said Tuesday that it sank to a depth of approximately 385 feet during a shore-to-ship maneuver nearly a mile from San Clemente Island. The US Navy's Undersea Rescue Command used an underwater remotely-operated video system deployed from the undersea search and rescue ship HOS Dominator to identify human remains. "The Navy has expedited the movement of assets to recover the remains of the Marines and Sailor, as well as raise the AAV," the Marine Corps said in its statement Tuesday. "The equipment to properly and safely perform the recovery from the sea floor will be in place at the end of this week, and a dignified transfer of our Marines and Sailor will occur as soon as possible after the conclusion of recovery operations." The oldest of the deceased was 23, and the youngest was 19.Join the conversation about this story » NOW WATCH: July 15 is Tax Day — here's what it's like to do your own taxes for the very first time