South Korea launched wristbands for those breaking quarantine because people were leaving their phones at home to trick government tracking apps
South Korea will put wristbands on people defying quarantine, after people tricked government tracking apps by leaving their phones at home. 57,000 people who entered South Korea after April 1 are confined to their homes for 14 days but more than 160 were caught breaking curfew. In response, the government has launched wristbands that tell officials if the person tries to cut it off or leave the home. Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
South Korea will use wristbands to stop people breaking quarantine because government tracking apps are being easily fooled by curfew breakers who leave their phones at home. 57,000 people who entered South Korea after April 1 have been confined to their homes as a precaution for 14 days, but some are going outside regardless, according to The Associated Press and South Korea's Yonhap news agency. The government launched several tracking apps that monitor the location of those meant to be in quarantine. But 160 people have so far been caught violating self-isolation rules. To counteract the problem, the wristband, which connects to the apps via Bluetooth, will alert officials if the person leaves the home, or tries to destroy the band.
"After deep consideration, the government has decided to put electronic wristbands on people who violate self-isolation rules, such as going outside without notice and not answering phone calls," Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun said on Saturday, according to Yonhap. "We have listened to quarantine experts and gathered opinions from various communities." The punishment for breaking the curfew can be as much as a year in jail, and a fine of $8,200.
The existence of the wristbands was first floated by Yoon Tae-ho, director general for public health policy at the Ministry of Health and Welfare, at a press conference on Tuesday. "Most of those who are in quarantine are following protocols well but there have been some violations. We will come up with the most efficient measure after further discussions," Yoon said. Yoon added that authorities may begin random drop-in visits to those supposedly on lockdown. Hong Kong rolled out 60,000 versions of a similar bracelet on March 16, which were given to recent arrivals to the country, with limited success. Join the conversation about this story » NOW WATCH: The biggest volcano eruptions in recorded history
More like this (3)
The defects, which have been fixed, exposed private details of people in quarantine. The country has...The defects, which have been fixed, exposed private details of people in quarantine. The country has been hailed as a pioneer in digital public health.
North Korea will cut off all communications with the South on Monday evening, according to Yonhap...North Korea will cut off all communications with the South on Monday evening, according to Yonhap News Agency. Since 2018, the two countries have conducted two phone calls each day on 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. local time. The move comes shortly after North Korea denounced an operation in which pro-democracy leaflets were being flown into the country by civilian activists from the South. Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories. North Korea will cut off all communications with the South on Monday evening, according to the Yonhap News Agency. The move comes a day after North Korea did not answer its daily inter-communication call with the South. Since 2018, the two countries have conducted two phone calls each day on 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. local time in order to decrease tensions between their borders. Pyongyang did not answer the first call Sunday morning but was able to be reached later in the afternoon. North Korea "did not mention anything" about the scheduled call in the morning, South Korea's Unification Ministry said in a statement, according to Yonhap News. The disrupted communications also come as North Korea threatened to close a liaison office with the South. North Korean defectors living in the South and human rights activists have flown leaflets containing pro-democracy messages past the border via balloons, with some containing portable USB drives with South Korean TV shows and music, much to Pyongyang's chagrin. Kim Yo Jong, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un's sister, denounced the South Korea-based operation and described it as "evil intention," according to the country's propaganda outlet. The South Korean government does not endorse the leaflet campaign from the peace activists and recently moved to enact legislation to ban the practice. "North Korea keeps control by blocking outside information," North Korean defector Lee Min Bok, who has flown the leaflets for 15 years, said in a previous Associated Press report. "To destroy it peacefully, the influx of information is necessary."Join the conversation about this story »
Hundreds in the East African nation were put in quarantine for breaking curfew or not wearing...Hundreds in the East African nation were put in quarantine for breaking curfew or not wearing masks. That, some said, was just the start of their ordeal.