LIVE UPDATES: First half of North Carolina vote shows Joe Biden trouncing Bernie Sanders by double digits
Former Vice President Joe Biden is the projected winner of the North Carolina primary, according to Decision Desk HQ. With more than 50% of precincts reporting, Biden holds a double-digit lead over Sen. Bernie Sanders. We'll have up-to-the-minute live vote counts and results happening in real time updating automatically.
Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
North Carolina has been called for Joe Biden, but polls are being held open in some parts of the state. Still, with more than 50% of precincts reporting, Biden holds a double-digit lead over next-leading vote getter Sen. Bernie Sanders. Insider and DDHQ are calling "The Tar Heel State" for the former Vice President. Polls in North Carolina closed at 7:30 p.m. Eastern, and we will have live vote counts and results happening in real time. North Carolina primary results:
Catch up on live coverage from the primary:
Former Vice President Joe Biden is performing well in the South to start the night, with additional wins in Alabama and Virginia. The early results of Super Tuesday have been a disaster for Former New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg, who spent $250 million on advertising in the states being contested.
Biden posted a thank you Tweet to North Carolinians shortly after notching the big win, which marked his second early in the night.
Thank you, North Carolina! https://t.co/FnzuOADiBx — Joe Biden (Text Join to 30330) (@JoeBiden) March 4, 2020
Biden also sped to victory in neighboring state Virginia to open the night, showing his dominance in southern states widely expected to be battlegrounds in the general election later this year. LIVE UPDATES: Joe Biden speeds to a quick victory in Virginia Democratic primary Early results show Biden leading Sen. Bernie Sanders by more than 10% of the vote in North Carolina, while Bloomberg hovered just above the 15% threshold for viability with more than 50% reporting. While you wait for more results from the Tar Heel State to come in, head over to our main Super Tuesday post to follow all the action. Read more:
Everything you need to know about Super Tuesday on March 3, the biggest day in the Democratic primaries The more Democratic voters have gotten to know Mike Bloomberg, the less they like him Amy Klobuchar and Pete Buttigieg endorsing Joe Biden is absolutely devastating news for Elizabeth Warren 9 mind-blowing facts that show just how much richer Mike Bloomberg is than the other presidential candidates 'We made history': Pete Buttigieg drops out of the 2020 presidential race Joe Biden crushed the South Carolina primary Bloomberg spent 50 times as much as Biden in Virginia and still got demolished Bloomberg seeing disastrous Super Tuesday results in states with early returns after spending a quarter of a billion dollars
Here's how Democrats will elect their presidential nominee over the next several months What's at stake in the primary? Of all the Super Tuesday states, North Carolina has the fourth-most delegates up for grabs with 110, or 2.8%, of the delegates allocated through the primary process. North Carolina is widely considered to be a battleground state heading into the 2020 general election, so the democratic candidates who perform well in the state's primary may be perceived as the most electable to run against President Trump. Of the 110 pledged delegates:
6 will be decided by the outcome of the vote in the 1st Congressional District 8 from the vote in the 2nd District 4 from the vote in the 3rd District 9 from the vote in the 4th district 3 from the vote in the 5th district 7 from the vote in the 6th district 5 from the vote in the 7th district 5 from the vote in the 8th district 5 from the vote in the 9th district 4 from the vote in the 10th district 5 from the vote in the 11th district 8 from the vote in the 12th district 3 from the vote in the 13th district
As usual, there's a 15% threshold, above which presidential candidates get delegates. DELEGATE COUNT: Here's who's winning the race for the 2020 Democratic nomination Former New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg looked to earn some of his first delegates in North Carolina after hedging his bets and investing considerably in all the Super Tuesday states. Instead, he struggled to reach the podium in "The Tar Heel State." Hillary Clinton won the Democratic North Carolina primary in 2016 with 54.5%, but Sen. Bernie Sanders finished not too far behind with 40.9% of the vote. Who does the polling say is ahead? The most recent primary polls showed Biden significantly ahead of the pack in North Carolina, with Sanders, Bloomberg, and Warren trailing behind. According to RealClearPolitics' average of the latest polling data, Biden leads the field with 25.0% support on average compared with 19.5% for Sanders, 16.5% for Bloomberg, 16.0% for Buttigieg, 9.0% for Warren, and 4.5% for Klobuchar. Buttigieg and Klobuchar have since dropped out and endorsed Biden. FiveThirtyEight's election forecastgives Biden a 74% chance of getting the most votes, followed by Sanders at 20%, Bloomberg at 6%, and Warren at less than 1%. Join the conversation about this story » NOW WATCH: Extremists turned a frog meme into a hate symbol, but Hong Kong protesters revived it as an emblem of hope