The Queen's grandson Peter Phillips and his wife Autumn Kelly are divorcing after 12 years, but the couple denied rumors that she'll follow Meghan Markle to Canada
Peter Phillips and Autumn Kelly are getting a divorce after separating last year. Phillips, who is the Queen's eldest grandson and son to Princess Anne, married Kelly at Windsor Castle back in 2008. The news was broken by The Sun, and a spokesperson for the couple later confirmed the news to Insider.
Reports have explored whether Kelly might return to her home country of Canada, where Prince Harry and Meghan Markle currently reside. However, the spokesperson told Insider: "Both Peter and Autumn will remain in Gloucestershire to bring up their two children where they have been settled for a number of years."
Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.
The Queen's eldest grandson, Peter Phillips, and his wife Autumn Kelly are getting a divorce after 12 years of marriage. British tabloid The Sun was the first to break the news of their separation, which took place last year, on Monday evening.
WORLD EXCLUSIVE Peter Phillips - the Queen's favourite grandson and son of Princess Anne - is to separate from his wife Autumn after 12 years of marriage, shocking the Royal Family. My bombshell story from tomorrow's @TheSun https://t.co/sgLi9qpWIn pic.twitter.com/F2RcXqPz29 — Dan Wootton (@danwootton) February 10, 2020
A spokesperson for the couple told Insider that since Phillips (son to Princess Anne, and cousin to Prince Harry) is not a senior royal, "it was not felt necessary to formally announce their separation last year." "After informing HM The Queen and members of both families last year, Peter and Autumn jointly agreed to separate," the spokesperson said. "They had reached the conclusion that this was the best course of action for their two children and ongoing friendship. "The decision to divorce and share custody came about after many months of discussions and although sad, is an amicable one. The couple's first priority will remain the continued well being and upbringing of their wonderful daughters Savannah (9) and Isla (7)."
They added: "Both families were naturally sad at the announcement, but fully supportive of Peter and Autumn in the joint decision to co parent their children." The Sun speculated on whether Kelly could return to her birthplace of Montreal in Canada, where she first met Phillips before deciding to move to the UK to live with him in the early days of their relationship. The pair married at St George's Chapel in the grounds of Windsor Castle in 2008, the same location as Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's royal wedding in 2018.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are currently spending time in Canada as a "transitional period" as they prepare to completely step back from the royal family However, the spokesperson for Phillips appeared to deny that Kelly could follow the couple's lead and return to her native country. "Both Peter and Autumn will remain in Gloucestershire to bring up their two children where they have been settled for a number of years," they said. They added that the couple have "requested privacy and compassion for their children while the family continues to adapt to these changes." Buckingham Palace declined to comment when contacted by Insider. Read more: Meghan Markle and Prince Harry could reunite with the royal family in a month for their first UK appearance since 'Megxit' Here's what could happen if Prince Harry and Meghan Markle decide to return to the royal family Here's how Princess Beatrice's wedding to property tycoon and single dad Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi will change the royal familyJoin the conversation about this story » NOW WATCH: 9 items to avoid buying at Costco
More like this (3)
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry could change their minds and decide to return to royal duties...Meghan Markle and Prince Harry could change their minds and decide to return to royal duties if Buckingham Palace were to review their situation down the line. Insider spoke to royal experts, who explained that the royal family could be leaving the door open for the duke and duchess to return. "It may well be that Harry's military links, which he will be sorry to forgo, especially that of Captain General of the Royal Marines, will remain vacant during that time just in case there is a rethink," royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams told Insider. However, Marlene Koenig, a royal expert for History Extra, told Insider that "the media would be without mercy" if the couple were to return. Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex's decision to resign from their royal duties and become financially independent could be up for review in just a year's time, according to royal experts. Although Buckingham Palace has not officially commented on what this means for Meghan Markle and Prince Harry, one possibility is that they could decide to return to royal life after this transitional period. "Harry and Meghan's choice of independence seems completely clear at the moment," Richard Fitzwilliams, a royal commentator, told Insider. "However, no one can predict the future with any certainty and the Queen, having released a statement after the Sandringham Summit confirming that they will not use their royal titles and will step down from royal duties but remain members of the royal family, wisely allowed for a reassessment of the situation after a year." Currently, the couple and their son, Archie, are spending time in Canada amid reports that staff at their Frogmore Cottage base in the UK have been relocated. Insider spoke to royal experts about the possibility that Harry and Markle could one day step back into their senior roles. Harry and Markle aren't the first couple to try and step back from the royal family Years before, another royal couple tried to earn their own living while simultaneously representing the Queen. But unlike Markle and Harry — who completely resigned from royal duties when they were told this wouldn't be possible — Prince Edward and Sophie, Countess of Wessex, gave up their passion projects for royal life back in 2002. "When Prince Edward married Sophie, she was successful and she worked in PR, and he ran his own production company [Ardent]," Marlene Koenig, a royal expert for History Extra, told Insider. "The Queen agreed to allow the couple to work at their careers with some royal duties ... this worked for a bit but it all came crashing down in 2001," Koenig added, in reference to the News of the World journalist who went undercover as a potential client for Sophie's PR firm. "It was a real embarrassment for Sophie who made some awful comments about politicians, and it seemed that she was using her position to get high paying clients," she said. "That summer, new guidelines were issued for royals who wanted to do commercial work and be working royals." The couple then gave up their careers "on the pretense that they would be supporting the queen on the occasion of her Golden Jubilee," Koenig added. According to a report by Mail Online from 2002, the Queen paid Edward and Sophie $324,888 (£250,000) as compensation for loss of earnings after they announced plans to step down from their companies and spend more time on royal duties. Edward had spent a decade in business before making the decision to resign as Ardent's director of production and joint managing director. "Working and playing hard is fine as long as it is fun and rewarding," Edward said at the time, according to the Mail. "The opportunity to set up and run my own company has been the biggest challenge I have faced and yet has turned out to be enormous fun, immensely rewarding and full of surprises. "Yet I always knew in the back of my mind that one day things would have to change. Well, that day has come, not just for me, but also for my wife. "It is quite obvious that in this year, the Golden Jubilee, we are required more than ever to support the Queen and to help my family shoulder some of the increasing responsibilities and workload into the future," he added. While royal experts don't think it's likely, they say the royal family could leave the door open for Harry and Meghan to return When Prince Harry gave up his royal duties, he also gave up his military titles. Fitzwilliams argues that these may be left vacant in case the duke changes his mind before the review. "It may well be that Harry's military links, which he will be sorry to forgo, especially that of Captain General of the Royal Marines, will remain vacant during that time just in case there is a rethink," Fitzwilliams said. "Since — apart from Harry's role as Commonwealth Youth Ambassador — they will keep their patronages, were they to reassess their priorities, this could in theory be accommodated." However, Fitzwilliams added that "this would appear at the moment to be highly unlikely." "I don't think it will happen, [however] I do expect them to attend some of the big events, such as Beatrice's wedding or a service of thanksgiving, perhaps even the Trooping the Colour, appearing on the balcony with other members of the family," Koenig said. "I think Meghan found her voice being muted as a working royal so now she will have more opportunity to do good on hers and Harry's terms," she added. However, the British press wouldn't be as forgiving Koenig added that if the couple changed their minds, "the royal family would certainly welcome them back with open arms." "But the media would be without mercy," she said. "I would expect comments about tails between their legs." The couple have been locked in a battle with the British press since before Markle even married into the family. In 2016, Harry issued a statement condemning "the smear on the front page of a national newspaper; the racial undertones of comment pieces; and the outright sexism and racism of social media trolls and web article comments." The royal family's relationship with the press may have been one of the couple's deciding factors leading them to resign this year. The duke and duchess announced on their Sussex Royal website that they would no longer partake in the "royal rota," a system that allows a rotation of British newspapers and tabloids to attend their engagements. The couple wrote on their site that they "believe in a free, strong and open media industry, which upholds accuracy and fosters inclusivity, diversity, and tolerance." Kerry Daynes, a consultant forensic psychologist who often appears in the media, previously told Insider that she has been asked questions designed to achieve a negative and misleading response about Markle. "I have been asked (by British, more right-wing media) to comment on Harry and Meghan in my capacity as an expert in coercive control," Daynes told Insider. "I have been asked leading questions along the lines of, 'Can you confirm that isolating someone from their family is a tactic used by controlling partners?'" Not to mention, Markle launched a lawsuit against the Mail on Sunday after it published a letter she sent to her estranged father last year. This could further prove the couple's resolution to cut ties with their royal duties. However, as Fitzwilliams said, no "one can predict the future with any certainty," and Harry and Markle may one day decide to step back into their former roles. Perhaps this would seem more probable if the Queen were to change the royal family's media guidelines. Although this may seem unlikely (after all, the royal rota has been running successfully for more than 40 years) it's not impossible. For the first time, Her Majesty publicly acknowledged the brutal press treatment the couple have received in a rare statement made when they resigned. "I recognize the challenges they have experienced as a result of intense scrutiny over the last two years and support their wish for a more independent life," she said. Therefore, while there would likely have to be this essential factor in place before the duke and duchess considered returning to their roles, there's nothing to say it couldn't happen. Read more: Racism in the British media may have been a driving force behind Meghan Markle's 'step back' from the royal family Rare photos of Meghan Markle and Kate Middleton that the British press may not want you to see Meghan Markle's departure from the royal family means it's Kate Middleton's 'time to shine,' according to a royal expertJoin the conversation about this story » NOW WATCH: Apple forever changed the biggest tech event of the year by not showing up
Harry and Meghan will completely step back from royal duties and stop using their titles starting in Spring 2020
Harry and Meghan Markle will step back completely from the royal family, according to a new...Harry and Meghan Markle will step back completely from the royal family, according to a new statement from Buckingham Palace released on Saturday. Queen Elizabeth II wrote in a statement: "Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of my family. I recognise the challenges they have experienced as a result of intense scrutiny over the last two years and support their wish for a more independent life." The couple will still be known as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, and Prince Harry will remain a prince, but will not use the title, reported Daily Mail's royal correspondent Rebecca English. Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will step back completely from royal duties starting in Spring 2020, according to a statement released on Saturday. They will remain known as Duke and Duchess of Sussex, but will no longer receive public funds and plan to repay the Sovereign Grant for their Frogmore Cottage renovations, according to a statement released on Saturday. A statement published by Buckingham Palace on behalf of Queen Elizabeth II reads: "Following many months of conversations and more recent discussions, I am pleased that together we have found a constructive and supportive way forward for my grandson and his family." "Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of my family. I recognise the challenges they have experienced as a result of intense scrutiny over the last two years and support their wish for a more independent life," the Queen's statement continued. "I want to thank them for all their dedicated work across this country, the Commonwealth and beyond, and am particularly proud of how Meghan has so quickly become one of the family," the statement read. "It is my whole family's hope that today's agreement allows them to start building a happy and peaceful new life." Harry and Meghan will transition out of their royal duties starting in Spring 2020, according to the palace's statement Buckingham Palace shared a second statement in addition to the Queen's announcement. It begins: "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are grateful to Her Majesty and the Royal Family for their ongoing support as they embark on the next chapter of their lives. As agreed in this new arrangement, they understand that they are required to step back from Royal duties, including official military appointments. They will no longer receive public funds for Royal duties." "With The Queen's blessing, the Sussexes will continue to maintain their private patronages and associations. While they can no longer formally represent The Queen, the Sussexes have made clear that everything they do will continue to uphold the values of Her Majesty," the statement continued. The statement clarified that Harry and Meghan will no longer use their HRH titles. "The Sussexes will not use their HRH titles as they are no longer working members of the Royal Family. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have shared their wish to repay Sovereign Grant expenditure for the refurbishment of Frogmore Cottage, which will remain their UK family home," according to the statement. "Buckingham Palace does not comment on the details of security arrangements. There are well established independent processes to determine the need for publicly-funded security." The announcement closed, saying: "This new model will take effect in the Spring of 2020." Harry will remain a prince but will not use the title As reported by Daily Mail royals correspondent Rebecca English, who responded to the palace's announcement on Twitter, Harry will still be considered a prince but he will not use his HRH title. The couple will be known as Harry, Duke of Sussex, and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, according to English. Major announcement from Buckingham Palace tonight: Harry and Meghan to completely step back from royal duties.Will not use their HRH titles any more. Will pay back the public money spent on Frogmore & will now pay ‘commercial rent’. They will largely live in ‘North America’ — Rebecca English (@RE_DailyMail) January 18, 2020 Read more: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle just announced they're taking a 'step back' from the royal family after months of rumors 10 warning signs that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle were ready to leave the royal family Staff are being moved out of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's Frogmore Cottage home A London restaurant has launched a 3-course 'Megxit' menu featuring 'British and Canadian cuisine with elements of ginger and LA glamour'Join the conversation about this story » NOW WATCH: A 45-year-long study discovered trends in successful hyper-intelligent children
Prince Harry and Meghan want to reduce their royal duties, 'become financially independent' and spend more...Prince Harry and Meghan want to reduce their royal duties, 'become financially independent' and spend more time in North America.