Meghan Markle and Prince Harry could reunite with the royal family in a month for their first UK appearance since 'Megxit'
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry could return to the UK for their first royal engagement since "Megxit" next month. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been invited by the Queen to attend a Commonwealth Day service with the royal family on March 10, The Times reports. A Buckingham Palace spokesperson could not confirm the report when contacted by Insider. However, they said: "Members of the royal family have been invited to attend the Commonwealth Day service and the members attending will be announced nearer the time in the usual way." Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex could make their first appearance with Prince William, Kate Middleton, and the rest of the royal family next month for the first time since "Megxit." According to The Times, the Queen has requested Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to join the family at Westminster Abbey's annual Commonwealth Day service on March 10. A Buckingham Palace spokesperson told Insider they "are giving no guidance on that at the moment." "Members of the royal family have been invited to attend the Commonwealth Day service and the members attending will be announced nearer the time in the usual way," the spokesperson added. It wouldn't be unusual for Harry and Markle to attend the church service, as they have attended the event together since before the duchess even married into the family in 2018.
The Times report added that the couple will spend time in the UK with baby Archie "for a final round of official engagements before returning to their new base in Canada." This would be the couple's last chance to carry out royal duties before they are officially required to step back in the Spring. Harry and Markle are expected to then have complete financial independence from the royal family as they divide their time between the UK and Canada. The duke and duchess have not been photographed with the royal family since announcing their decision to resign in January. However, it appears they have already started making non-royal related public appearances. The Sussexes attended a private JPMorgan event in Miami Beach last week, a Buckingham Palace spokesperson confirmed to Insider's Darcy Schild over the weekend. Prince Harry was a speaker at the engagement. Although the spokesperson wasn't able to discuss the contents of his speech, Page Six reports that he focused on mental health, the loss of his mother, and "Megxit." "Harry also touched on Megxit, saying while it has been very difficult on him and Meghan, he does not regret their decision to step down as senior royals because he wants to protect his family. He does not want Meghan and their son Archie to go through what he did as a child," a source told Page Six. Read more: Prince Harry reportedly spoke about his mental health and not regretting 'Megxit' at the Sussexes' first public appearance in weeks Here's what could happen if Prince Harry and Meghan Markle decide to return to the royal family Prince William and Kate Middleton may have already found a new couple to replace Prince Harry and Meghan Markle in the 'Fab Four'Join the conversation about this story » NOW WATCH: Here's how to escape a flooding vehicle