Man shot dead by police after stabbing two people in south London had been recently released from prison
The suspect in Sunday's stabbing attack in south London has been identified by police as 20-year-old Sudesh Amman. According to London's Metropolitan Police, the man had recently been released from prison where he had been serving an unspecified sentence for terrorism offences. Police said that Amman had an explosive device strapped to his body, which turned out to be a hoax. Three people were injured in the stabbing, which police are calling an isolated incident. Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
A man shot dead by UK police after stabbing two people has been identified as Sudesh Amman. According to London's Metropolitan Police, the 20-year-old had recently been released from prison where he had been serving an unspecified sentence for terrorism offences. According to the BBC, Amman was released about a week ago after serving about half of his three years and four-month sentence. The outlet added that he was under "active police surveillance" during Sunday's attack. Deputy Assistant Commissioner in the Metropolitan Police Service Lucy D'Orsi said in a statement that the stabbing occurred at around 2 p.m. local time on Sunday in Streatham, south London. She said that armed officers who were part of a counter-terrorism surveillance operation followed Amman by foot and shot him dead at the scene. According to D'Orsi, Amman had an explosive device strapped to his body, which was quickly discovered to be a hoax. Three people were taken to south London hospitals, including one man in his 40's who initially sustained life-threatening injuries but was no longer critical. The two other victims were identified as a woman in her 50's with non-life threatening injuries, and a woman in her 20's with minor injuries believed to have been sustained from glass that shattered when police shot the suspect. Police say they are "confident" this is an isolated incident. Prime Minister Boris Johnson vowed to introduce "fundamental changes to the system for dealing with those convicted of terrorism offences." "Following the awful events at Fishmonger's Hall, we have moved quickly to introduce a package of measures to strengthen every element of our response to terrorism – including longer prison sentences and more money for the police," Johnson said in a statement. London Mayor Sadiq Kha said in a statement shortly after the incident that he was in close contact with authorities as they investigated the incident. "Terrorists seek to divide us and to destroy our way of life — here in London we will never let them succeed." SEE ALSO: Man shot dead by police in south London following 'terrorist-related' stabbings Join the conversation about this story » NOW WATCH: Most maps of Louisiana aren't entirely right. Here's what the state really looks like.
More like this (3)
The British government proposed extending the prison terms for terrorism-related offenses, but analysts said the move...The British government proposed extending the prison terms for terrorism-related offenses, but analysts said the move could violate human rights and further radicalize young offenders.
The shooting occurred after people were stabbed in South London. The motive was unclear, but the...The shooting occurred after people were stabbed in South London. The motive was unclear, but the suspect had a “hoax” device strapped to his body.