A student at the University of Massachusetts Boston is confirmed to be the 8th person in the US to have the Wuhan coronavirus after a trip to China
A man in Boston tested positive for the coronavirus after returning from Wuhan, China, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health said on Friday. In a letter to community members, the University of Massachusetts Boston confirmed that the person infected was a student at the school, adding that health officials believe the risk to other students is "low." The case marks the first in Massachusetts and the eighth confirmed case in the United States. At least 259 people have died as a result of the virus, and around 12,000 have been infected, primarily in China. The virus has been reported in at least 22 countries around the world. Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
A University of Massachusetts student who recently traveled from China to Boston has been confirmed by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Friday to have the Wuhan coronavirus, marking the first case of the virus in Massachusetts and the eighth in the United States. According to a report from the Boston Herald, the University of Massachusetts in Boston confirmed February 1 that the individual who contracted the virus was a student at the school. "I want to let you know that a member of the UMass Boston community who recently returned from Wuhan, China has tested positive for the novel coronavirus," the university told community members in a letter sent Saturday, per the Herald. "We are working closely with the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (MDPH) and the Boston Public Health Commission (BPHC) to ensure all guidelines and protocols are diligently followed. These agencies will continue to monitor the treatment and health of the affected person." UMass Boston added that state and local officials told them that the "risk to members of our community is low," and that "business as usual" is to be expected at the university's campus. According to a Saturday press release from the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (MDPH), the man is in his 20s and resides in Boston. The MDPH said the Centers for Disease Control notified state and local agencies of the positive test result on Friday night. Per the MDPH, the Boston man had recently traveled to Wuhan, the city in China's Hubei province where the outbreak originated. The man sought medical attention soon after his return to the US, the release said, adding that he had been isolated since seeking medical help. His "few close contacts" are being watched for signs of the virus, the agency added.
The man will stay in isolation until he is cleared by public health officials, according to the MDPH. "Our priority is not only to protect and inform the residents of Boston but also to help this man continue to recover. We are pleased that he is doing well," Boston Public Health Commission Executive Director Rita Nieves said in the press release. "Right now, we are not asking Boston residents to do anything differently. The risk to the general public remains low. And we continue to be confident we are in a good position to respond to this developing situation." As Business Insider previously reported, seven other cases of the virus have been reported throughout the US, in Arizona, California, and Washington. The disease, which has killed at least 259 and infected nearly 12,000, mainly in China, has spread to 22 countries around the globe, including Australia, Cambodia, Canada, Finland, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Nepal, the Philippines, Russia, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, the United Arab Emirates, the UK, the US, and Vietnam. President Trump on January 31 banned foreign nationals who visited China within the past two weeks from entering the US, though US citizens, their immediate families, and permanent residents are not included in the ban. US citizens who have traveled to China's Hubei province must undergo 14 days in isolation upon returning to the country. Read more: 9,000 Hong Kong hospital workers are threatening to strike amid coronavirus outbreak if the government doesn't close its border with mainland China Apple shuts down all stores and corporate offices in China amid the continued Wuhan coronavirus outbreak Scientists have published over 50 studies on Wuhan coronavirus in the last 3 weeks. They learned that 75,800 people in Wuhan could be infected. A medical-surveillance system that China implemented after SARS led officials to discover the novel coronavirus within 1 week — here's how it worksJoin the conversation about this story » NOW WATCH: People are still debating the pink or grey sneaker, 2 years after it went viral. Here's the real color explained.
More like this (3)
The outbreak of the virus, which began in Wuhan, China, has left tens of thousands sickened...The outbreak of the virus, which began in Wuhan, China, has left tens of thousands sickened and more than 1,000 people dead. Officials have declared it a global health emergency.
A 44-year-old man who traveled from Wuhan, China, the center of the outbreak, died in the...A 44-year-old man who traveled from Wuhan, China, the center of the outbreak, died in the Philippines, officials said.
The US just confirmed its 11th coronavirus case: A husband and wife in San Benito county, California. Here's what we know about all the US patients.
A deadly coronavirus that originated in Wuhan, China, has spread to 24 other countries. The US...A deadly coronavirus that originated in Wuhan, China, has spread to 24 other countries. The US has confirmed 11 cases of the coronavirus: two in Illinois, six in California, one in Arizona, one in Washington, and one in Massachusetts. The 10th and 11th cases, a 57-year-old husband and wife in San Benito County, California, was confirmed on Sunday. A case in Chicago reported last week was the first human-to-human transmission in the US. Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories. The US has confirmed its eleventh case of a new coronavirus that originated in Wuhan, China. On Sunday, officials confirmed several patients in California, including a woman in Santa Clara County, and a husband and wife from San Benito County, had been infected with the virus. According to CBS San Francisco, Santa Clara County health officials announced on Sunday a woman visiting family in the Bay Area from China was confirmed to have been struck with the virus. Within two hours, the San Benito County Public Health Services said a husband and wife, both 57, were infected with the virus. The husband had recently traveled to Wuhan and passed the virus on to his wife upon return to California. Last week, the first documented instance of human-to-human transmission of the virus in the US was identified in Illinois. The other US cases were reported in Illinois, Arizona, California, and Washington, and Massachusetts. In total, the outbreak has killed more than 362 people and infected more than 17,000 since it started in December. Beyond China, it has spread to 24 other countries: Australia, Cambodia, Canada, Finland, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Nepal, the Philippines, Russia, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, the United Arab Emirates, the UK, the US, and Vietnam. The coronavirus family is a large group of viruses that typically affect the respiratory tract. Coronaviruses can lead to illnesses such as the common cold, pneumonia, and severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), which resulted in 8,000 cases and 774 deaths in China from November 2002 to July 2003. Patients with the new coronavirus — known as 2019-nCoV — have reported symptoms like fever, coughing, and difficulty breathing. Those who have died were mostly elderly or otherwise unwell, according to Chinese officials. Here's everything we know about the seven cases in the US.The new cases in San Benito County, California, brings the total number of US cases up to 11. On Sunday, the San Benito County Health and Human Services Agency announced that two cases of the virus had been confirmed in the county. "The confirmed cases are related; husband and wife, and both are 57 years of age," the agency wrote in a statement. The statement continued: "The husband recently traveled from Wuhan, China. The wife did not. Therefore, there has been person-to-person transmission. Both patients have not left their home since returning from China. "San Benito County Public Health Services provided guidance for home isolation and is closely monitoring their medical condition. Currently, both patients are not hospitalized." Earlier on Sunday, a woman in the San Francisco Bay Area was confirmed as having the coronavirus. The Santa Clara County Public Health Department on Sunday confirmed that a Bay Area woman had contracted the virus while on a visit to Wuhan, China. "She has stayed home since she arrived, except for two times to seek outpatient medical care," Dr. Sara Cody, Santa Clara County's health officer, told the press. "She has been regularly monitored and was never sick enough to be hospitalized." The woman's family has also been isolated and is not leaving the home, Cody added. On Friday, officials in Santa Clara County said a resident of the county tested positive for the coronavirus. Officials confirmed that an adult man who lives in the county tested positive for the virus. They said the man returned from a trip to Wuhan and Shanghai on January 24 and did not leave his home except to seek medical care. "We've been preparing for this possibility for weeks, knowing that we were likely to eventually confirm a case," Dr. Sara Cody, Santa Clara County's health officer, said in a Friday press conference. Cody added that the man had come into contact with "very few individuals" since his return, including household members, but said officials were monitoring those people. The man did not need to be hospitalized and was being treated at home, she added. "We're actually quite lucky in this case in that I think the contact list is going to be very short," Cody said. Officials said the cases of the man and the woman who have been infected in Santa Clara County are not related. On Saturday, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health confirmed that a man returning from Wuhan had contracted the illness. Massachusetts confirmed its first case of coronavirus on Saturday. The Massachusetts Department of Public Health said in a statement that a man in his 20s, who lives in Boston, was confirmed to have picked up the illness in Wuhan. "The risk to the public from the 2019 novel coronavirus remains low in Massachusetts," the department said. It added: "The man recently traveled to Wuhan, China, and sought medical care soon after his return to Massachusetts. He has been isolated since that time and will continue to remain isolated until cleared by public health officials. His few close contacts have been identified and are being monitored for any sign of symptoms." The first US case was reported on January 21, when a man in his 30s was confirmed sick in Snohomish County, Washington. The patient contracted the virus after visiting Wuhan but did not exhibit any symptoms while traveling. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is requiring 20 US airports — including those in New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Atlanta, and Chicago — to screen passengers for the virus. All flights in and out of Wuhan have been canceled. The man who contracted the virus landed at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport before the protocols were instated. Health officials said they were able to detect this case early, and the man has been under strict isolation. Chris Spitters, a health officer for the Snohomish Health District, said during a CDC briefing on January 21 that the patient was "hospitalized out of an abundance of precaution and for short-term monitoring, not because there was severe illness." The man is in good health now, according to a spokesman at Providence Regional Medical Center Everett, Herald Net reported. Three days later, a woman in her 60s became the second case reported in the US. She is being treated in Chicago, Illinois. The woman traveled to Wuhan in December to care for her elderly father, then returned to Chicago on January 13. She did not exhibit any symptoms while traveling but called her doctor a few days after returning to the US to report that she was feeling unwell. The patient was sent to a local hospital, where she was isolated and given fluids. Doctors are treating her symptoms much like they would treat pneumonia. As of January 24, the woman was in stable condition, the CDC said, according to Chicago's ABC7 News. Local health officials said she did not take public transportation or attend any public gatherings. "I want to start by stating clearly: This is a single travel-associated case, not a local emergency," Allison Arwady, the commissioner of the Chicago Department of Public Health, said, according to ABC. "I can reassure you that even with this Chicago case, the health risk to the general public from novel coronavirus remains low at this time." The CDC confirmed that the spouse of the Chicago patient also contracted the virus. His case represents the first person-to-person spread of the virus in the US. The woman's spouse had not traveled to China. Three other US cases were confirmed on January 26: two in California and one in Arizona. On January 22, a Wuhan resident who was traveling through Los Angeles International Airport on his way to China reported that he wasn't feeling well to airport staff. He was immediately taken to a local hospital. The second California case was identified in Orange County. The patient there is being kept in isolation in a hospital and is reported to be doing well. In Arizona, meanwhile, a patient is also in isolation. The person lives in Maricopa County, which includes Phoenix. Health officials described the patient as "a member of the Arizona State University community" but said the person did not live in university housing. All three patients recently traveled from Wuhan. At least 241 people across 36 states had been tested or were awaiting tests for the virus as of Saturday. The CDC reported that 114 people have tested negative for the virus as of January 31. "At this time this virus is NOT currently spreading in the community in the United States," the CDC said on Saturday. On Sunday, the Department of Homeland Security announced new travel restrictions and said airline passengers who have been in China in the last 14 days will be screened on arrival and may be subject to quarantine. Those who have the coronavirus reported symptoms like fever, coughing, and difficulty breathing. The CDC recommends that all travelers wash their hands frequently with soap and water and scrub for at least 20 seconds. They should refrain from touching their eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands. The US government evacuated 195 Americans from Wuhan on Tuesday. The flight landed at the March Air Reserve Base in Riverside, California, on Wednesday. It carried US state department employees who were working at the consulate in Wuhan, as well as their families. All of the passengers will be kept under quarantine for 14 days, the CDC announced on Friday. All of Wuhan's public transportation — including buses, ferries, and trains — was shut down last week. Trains and airplanes coming in and out of the city were halted, and roadblocks were installed to keep taxis and private cars from exiting the city. Wuhan's 11 million residents were told not to leave the city, barring special circumstances. Morgan McFall-Johnsen contributed reporting for this story. Read more: The Wuhan coronavirus has killed at least 200 people and infected more than 9,700. Here's everything we know about the outbreak. The Wuhan coronavirus has spread to 22 countries. Here's how to protect yourself while traveling. Health experts issued an ominous warning about a coronavirus pandemic 3 months ago. The virus in their simulation killed 65 million people. The outbreaks of both the Wuhan coronavirus and SARS likely started in Chinese wet markets. Photos show what the markets look like.