Ted Sarandos, the Chief Content Officer at Netflix, said he would be interested in working with Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. The royal couple effectively quit their work as royals over the weekend, and hope to go into business instead. The specifics are vague, but the couple are said to admire Barack and Michelle Obama's trajectory since leaving the White House. The Obamas signed a deal with Netflix in 2018, said to be worth around $50 million. Visit Business Insider's home page for more stories.
A senior Netflix executive welcomed the prospect of signing a deal with Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, potentially opening a door for the couple to go into business after effectively quitting the British royal family. Ted Sarandos, Netflix's Chief Content Officer, responded to a question from journalists about a potential deal with the words "Who wouldn't be interested? Yes, sure." The exchange, reported by Britain's Press Association from a Los Angeles industry event, could give the royal couple the chance to emulate Barack and Michelle Obama, whose post-White House careers they are said to admire. The Obamas signed a deal with Netflix in 2018 to produces series and movies for streaming. The financial terms have not been announced, but the deal is rumored to be worth around $50 million.
Sarandos's hint comes after Buckingham Palace announced the terms of Harry and Meghan's departure as senior members of the royal family. The couple will be free to strike commercial deals — like a partnership with Netflix — but must cease to use their "royal highness" titles and will stop formally representing the Queen. The terms of separation were harsher than those Harry and Meghan had publicly lobbied for when announcing their intention to "step back" from life as senior royals. They will also have to repay the cost of a $3 million (£2.4 million) refurbishment to Frogmore Cottage, their residence in the grounds of Windsor Castle, and will now pay the Queen to rent it rather than getting to live there for free. The exact shape of Meghan and Harry's post-royal life is yet to be decided. The Daily Mail newspaper reported that the couple has been receiving advice from the Obamas, on the grounds that they admire their ability to pivot from prominent public roles to a private life in which they remain popular, respected, and can earn significant amounts of money. (Other reports have disputed this.) According to Business Insider's Taylor Borden and Connor Perrett, if Meghan and Harry make smart choices they could easily leverage their fame to create a $1 billion brand.Join the conversation about this story » NOW WATCH: How autopilot on an airplane works
More like this (3)
The royal couple are tipped to be the toast of the celebrity circuit but they will...The royal couple are tipped to be the toast of the celebrity circuit but they will have to work hard to maintain their A-list status Touching down to a city in lockdown cannot have been what the Duke and Duchess of Sussex had in mind when they had imagined starting a new life in Los Angeles. With a stay-at-home order in place, all activities usually associated with the city – premieres, parties, events and schmoozing – were on hold when they reportedly arrived last month, and studios had stopped production. Following months of drama swirling around Harry and Meghan’s decision to step down as working royals, which officially came into force on Wednesday, in the face of a deadly global pandemic they have finally taken a backseat in the public consciousness. Continue reading...
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry could breach the terms of 'Megxit' if they pursue private work before officially resigning in the spring
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry could be in breach of their "Megxit" deal if they undertake...Meghan Markle and Prince Harry could be in breach of their "Megxit" deal if they undertake paid private projects outside of the royal family before spring. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are currently still working members of the royal family, and this won't change until they completely step back later this year. With reports of Harry and Markle's appearance at a JPMorgan event in Miami, and Harry's reported talks with Goldman Sachs, it appears that the couple are already working towards financial independence. However, Buckingham Palace has not confirmed whether they received payment from these companies, and did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment. Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex could potentially break their agreement with the Queen by pursuing private work before officially resigning from the royal family. Buckingham Palace announced in January that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle would completely step back from their royal duties and titles in the spring of 2020. When this new model takes effect, the couple will no longer be reliant on public funds and will become financially independent. However, it appears they have already made a start in their pursuit of private work — and if they get paid for these projects before the spring, the couple could be in breach of their agreement. Last week, the couple made an appearance at a JPMorgan event in Miami, a palace spokesperson confirmed to Insider's Darcy Schild. Harry made a speech at the event, where he reportedly discussed mental health, the trauma of losing his mother, and the decision behind "Megxit." It has not been confirmed whether this was a paid appearance. According to the Mirror, Harry has also held talks with Goldman Sachs. While there has been no confirmation on whether the former royal has received payment from the company, the publication reports that a PR guru has suggested the couple could earn up to £1 billion ($1.3 billion) through corporate deals and brand ambassador roles. However, if these deals were to go through before the couple stop receiving public funds in the spring, this could potentially jeopardize the terms of "Megxit." Harry and Markle have not yet completely stepped back from their roles within the royal family. They will reportedly undertake a final royal appearance at Westminster Abbey's Commonwealth Day service in March. Although Buckingham Palace could not confirm this to Insider, they did confirm that "members of the royal family have been invited" to attend the service. "The agreement with the Queen technically starts in the spring," royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams told Insider. "Harry and Meghan have said they want to be financially independent. It is not known whether they were paid for their JPMorgan appearance but obviously this area is where their future lies. "Connections with Goldman Sachs are likewise likely to be lucrative as the couple are obviously keen not to have to rely on Charles for their funding and also to build their Sussex Royal brand into one of the world's most successful, and heighten their profile as charitable activists as well," he added. The couple are expected to receive private funds from the Duchy of Cornwall, which is managed by Prince Charles, according to Daily Mail royal correspondent Rebecca English. However, another royal commentator, Joe Little, told Insider that the couple will likely have some flexibility in their agreement. "We don't know the specifics of the agreement with the Queen, so it's impossible to say if Harry and Meghan have done something they shouldn't," said Little, managing editor at Majesty magazine. "'Spring' is pretty vague, but I'd imagine there's a degree of flexibility with all the relevant parties," he added. Buckingham Palace did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment. Read more: How Meghan Markle and Prince Harry could earn enough money to become 'financially independent' of the crown — and why it likely won't include a return to the screen Why the Queen's eldest grandson Peter Phillips doesn't have to follow royal protocol during his divorce Meghan Markle once wrote about her ideal Valentine's Day, and it shows how she and Prince Harry could be spending it this year The Instagram influencer who keeps getting mistaken for Meghan Markle says she doesn't 'see the resemblance'Join the conversation about this story » NOW WATCH: How to find water when you're stuck in the desert
The Queen's grandson Peter Phillips and his wife Autumn Kelly are divorcing after 12 years, but the couple denied rumors that she'll follow Meghan Markle to Canada
Peter Phillips and Autumn Kelly are getting a divorce after separating last year. Phillips, who is...Peter Phillips and Autumn Kelly are getting a divorce after separating last year. Phillips, who is the Queen's eldest grandson and son to Princess Anne, married Kelly at Windsor Castle back in 2008. The news was broken by The Sun, and a spokesperson for the couple later confirmed the news to Insider. Reports have explored whether Kelly might return to her home country of Canada, where Prince Harry and Meghan Markle currently reside. However, the spokesperson told Insider: "Both Peter and Autumn will remain in Gloucestershire to bring up their two children where they have been settled for a number of years." Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. The Queen's eldest grandson, Peter Phillips, and his wife Autumn Kelly are getting a divorce after 12 years of marriage. British tabloid The Sun was the first to break the news of their separation, which took place last year, on Monday evening. WORLD EXCLUSIVE Peter Phillips - the Queen's favourite grandson and son of Princess Anne - is to separate from his wife Autumn after 12 years of marriage, shocking the Royal Family. My bombshell story from tomorrow's @TheSun https://t.co/sgLi9qpWIn pic.twitter.com/F2RcXqPz29 — Dan Wootton (@danwootton) February 10, 2020 A spokesperson for the couple told Insider that since Phillips (son to Princess Anne, and cousin to Prince Harry) is not a senior royal, "it was not felt necessary to formally announce their separation last year." "After informing HM The Queen and members of both families last year, Peter and Autumn jointly agreed to separate," the spokesperson said. "They had reached the conclusion that this was the best course of action for their two children and ongoing friendship. "The decision to divorce and share custody came about after many months of discussions and although sad, is an amicable one. The couple's first priority will remain the continued well being and upbringing of their wonderful daughters Savannah (9) and Isla (7)." They added: "Both families were naturally sad at the announcement, but fully supportive of Peter and Autumn in the joint decision to co parent their children." The Sun speculated on whether Kelly could return to her birthplace of Montreal in Canada, where she first met Phillips before deciding to move to the UK to live with him in the early days of their relationship. The pair married at St George's Chapel in the grounds of Windsor Castle in 2008, the same location as Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's royal wedding in 2018. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are currently spending time in Canada as a "transitional period" as they prepare to completely step back from the royal family However, the spokesperson for Phillips appeared to deny that Kelly could follow the couple's lead and return to her native country. "Both Peter and Autumn will remain in Gloucestershire to bring up their two children where they have been settled for a number of years," they said. They added that the couple have "requested privacy and compassion for their children while the family continues to adapt to these changes." Buckingham Palace declined to comment when contacted by Insider. Read more: Meghan Markle and Prince Harry could reunite with the royal family in a month for their first UK appearance since 'Megxit' Here's what could happen if Prince Harry and Meghan Markle decide to return to the royal family Here's how Princess Beatrice's wedding to property tycoon and single dad Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi will change the royal familyJoin the conversation about this story » NOW WATCH: 9 items to avoid buying at Costco