Monarch says she would have preferred couple to remain full-time working royals as day of talks endsQueen gives reluctant blessing to Harry and Meghan’s plansCharities defend Harry and Meghan’s decision to reduce royal role 7.27pm GMT Here are the main points so far today: Related: Queen gives reluctant blessing to Harry and Meghan's plans 7.11pm GMT Community workers and charity organisers have defended the Duke and Duchess of Sussex after they were accused of letting the country and their family down by seeking to step back from their senior royal status.After days of criticism of Harry and Meghan, the Queen said on Monday that while she would have preferred them to remain full-time royals she was “entirely supportive” of the plan. Related: Charities defend Harry and Meghan’s decision to reduce royal role Continue reading...
More like this (3)
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry could reunite with the royal family in a month for their first UK appearance since 'Megxit'
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry could return to the UK for their first royal engagement since...Meghan Markle and Prince Harry could return to the UK for their first royal engagement since "Megxit" next month. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been invited by the Queen to attend a Commonwealth Day service with the royal family on March 10, The Times reports. A Buckingham Palace spokesperson could not confirm the report when contacted by Insider. However, they said: "Members of the royal family have been invited to attend the Commonwealth Day service and the members attending will be announced nearer the time in the usual way." Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex could make their first appearance with Prince William, Kate Middleton, and the rest of the royal family next month for the first time since "Megxit." According to The Times, the Queen has requested Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to join the family at Westminster Abbey's annual Commonwealth Day service on March 10. A Buckingham Palace spokesperson told Insider they "are giving no guidance on that at the moment." "Members of the royal family have been invited to attend the Commonwealth Day service and the members attending will be announced nearer the time in the usual way," the spokesperson added. It wouldn't be unusual for Harry and Markle to attend the church service, as they have attended the event together since before the duchess even married into the family in 2018. The Times report added that the couple will spend time in the UK with baby Archie "for a final round of official engagements before returning to their new base in Canada." This would be the couple's last chance to carry out royal duties before they are officially required to step back in the Spring. Harry and Markle are expected to then have complete financial independence from the royal family as they divide their time between the UK and Canada. The duke and duchess have not been photographed with the royal family since announcing their decision to resign in January. However, it appears they have already started making non-royal related public appearances. The Sussexes attended a private JPMorgan event in Miami Beach last week, a Buckingham Palace spokesperson confirmed to Insider's Darcy Schild over the weekend. Prince Harry was a speaker at the engagement. Although the spokesperson wasn't able to discuss the contents of his speech, Page Six reports that he focused on mental health, the loss of his mother, and "Megxit." "Harry also touched on Megxit, saying while it has been very difficult on him and Meghan, he does not regret their decision to step down as senior royals because he wants to protect his family. He does not want Meghan and their son Archie to go through what he did as a child," a source told Page Six. Read more: Prince Harry reportedly spoke about his mental health and not regretting 'Megxit' at the Sussexes' first public appearance in weeks Here's what could happen if Prince Harry and Meghan Markle decide to return to the royal family Prince William and Kate Middleton may have already found a new couple to replace Prince Harry and Meghan Markle in the 'Fab Four'Join the conversation about this story » NOW WATCH: Here's how to escape a flooding vehicle
Duke and Duchess of Sussex will give back taxpayers’ money spent renovating their home and drop...Duke and Duchess of Sussex will give back taxpayers’ money spent renovating their home and drop official dutiesAnalysis: couple sought half-in half-out deal, but are ‘out’The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will give up using their Royal Highness titles and return £2.4m to the taxpayer to cover the costs of refurbishing their Windsor home as they leave their roles as senior member of the royal family.The Queen said last night in a statement that this “constructive and supportive way forward” would allow the Sussexes “to start building a happy and peaceful new life”. In a rebuff to critics of her granddaughter-in-law, the Queen added that she was “particularly proud of how Meghan has so quickly become one of the family”. Continue reading...
Harry and Meghan will completely step back from royal duties and stop using their titles starting in Spring 2020
Harry and Meghan Markle will step back completely from the royal family, according to a new...Harry and Meghan Markle will step back completely from the royal family, according to a new statement from Buckingham Palace released on Saturday. Queen Elizabeth II wrote in a statement: "Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of my family. I recognise the challenges they have experienced as a result of intense scrutiny over the last two years and support their wish for a more independent life." The couple will still be known as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, and Prince Harry will remain a prince, but will not use the title, reported Daily Mail's royal correspondent Rebecca English. Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will step back completely from royal duties starting in Spring 2020, according to a statement released on Saturday. They will remain known as Duke and Duchess of Sussex, but will no longer receive public funds and plan to repay the Sovereign Grant for their Frogmore Cottage renovations, according to a statement released on Saturday. A statement published by Buckingham Palace on behalf of Queen Elizabeth II reads: "Following many months of conversations and more recent discussions, I am pleased that together we have found a constructive and supportive way forward for my grandson and his family." "Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of my family. I recognise the challenges they have experienced as a result of intense scrutiny over the last two years and support their wish for a more independent life," the Queen's statement continued. "I want to thank them for all their dedicated work across this country, the Commonwealth and beyond, and am particularly proud of how Meghan has so quickly become one of the family," the statement read. "It is my whole family's hope that today's agreement allows them to start building a happy and peaceful new life." Harry and Meghan will transition out of their royal duties starting in Spring 2020, according to the palace's statement Buckingham Palace shared a second statement in addition to the Queen's announcement. It begins: "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are grateful to Her Majesty and the Royal Family for their ongoing support as they embark on the next chapter of their lives. As agreed in this new arrangement, they understand that they are required to step back from Royal duties, including official military appointments. They will no longer receive public funds for Royal duties." "With The Queen's blessing, the Sussexes will continue to maintain their private patronages and associations. While they can no longer formally represent The Queen, the Sussexes have made clear that everything they do will continue to uphold the values of Her Majesty," the statement continued. The statement clarified that Harry and Meghan will no longer use their HRH titles. "The Sussexes will not use their HRH titles as they are no longer working members of the Royal Family. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have shared their wish to repay Sovereign Grant expenditure for the refurbishment of Frogmore Cottage, which will remain their UK family home," according to the statement. "Buckingham Palace does not comment on the details of security arrangements. There are well established independent processes to determine the need for publicly-funded security." The announcement closed, saying: "This new model will take effect in the Spring of 2020." Harry will remain a prince but will not use the title As reported by Daily Mail royals correspondent Rebecca English, who responded to the palace's announcement on Twitter, Harry will still be considered a prince but he will not use his HRH title. The couple will be known as Harry, Duke of Sussex, and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, according to English. Major announcement from Buckingham Palace tonight: Harry and Meghan to completely step back from royal duties.Will not use their HRH titles any more. Will pay back the public money spent on Frogmore & will now pay ‘commercial rent’. They will largely live in ‘North America’ — Rebecca English (@RE_DailyMail) January 18, 2020 Read more: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle just announced they're taking a 'step back' from the royal family after months of rumors 10 warning signs that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle were ready to leave the royal family Staff are being moved out of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's Frogmore Cottage home A London restaurant has launched a 3-course 'Megxit' menu featuring 'British and Canadian cuisine with elements of ginger and LA glamour'Join the conversation about this story » NOW WATCH: A 45-year-long study discovered trends in successful hyper-intelligent children