The Muse is seeking a talented Engineering Manager who is curious and motivated by leading others to solve tough problems and coaching engineers to realize their full potential. You’ll report to the CTO and be responsible for managing, growing, and organizing the teams responsible for every feature you see on our website (and many you don’t!). Join our team of 118+ smart, curious, respectful, friendly, fun, driven Musers who believe in making the world of work better.
About The Muse
The Muse is the most trusted and beloved career platform, connecting individuals and companies on a more authentic level. We support over 75 million people looking to craft meaningful careers through TheMuse.com and our employer partners. Smart companies work with us to attract today’s top talent, giving candidates the information they need to find the company that is right for them. Why? Because life’s too short to hate your career.
Founded in 2011, over 50 million users come to TheMuse.com for original career advice from prominent experts, access to the best coaches, and a behind-the-scenes look at job opportunities, and over 700 companies trust The Muse to help them strengthen their employer brands to win the war for talent. The majority of the team is headquartered in New York, NY (37th & Broadway).
How You’ll Make an Impact
- You’ll coach a team of 7-8 engineers in a full team of 24.
- You’ll be instrumental in hiring new engineers who fit the needs of the business and make the team culture better.
- You’ll help your team grow and evolve, and make sure that our engineers have an opportunity to improve professionally.
- You’ll partner with our Product team to plan, design, and develop all new consumer- and client-facing features.
- You’ll be responsible for the maintenance of all existing systems, and sunsetting of those systems we no longer need.
Why We’ll Love You
- You’ve had experience managing engineering teams at a startup.
- You take a pragmatic approach to technology, and you like it best when it helps make someone else’s life better.
- You’re familiar with agile management techniques, and understand how to create an effective team structure and workflow.
- You’re an excellent communicator who wants to work alongside the other teams in the company to help them use data to answer their questions—and to ask better ones.
- You’re comfortable with, and embrace, remote work and distributed teams.
- You’re supportive and fair, showing genuine interest in the well-being and success of your team. You set a positive tone and recognize and reward individual contributions.
- You treat everyone with respect and fairness.
- Like us, you’re all about mentorship and professional growth, and you understand that a manager’s most important long-term goal is to create more senior engineers.
Why You’ll Love Us
- We’re fanatical about finding the right tool for each job. We pick technologies because they make sense, and we’re not afraid to try something new when we feel that it could be useful, even if we’ve never used it before.
- Our team works on problems, not tasks. We like to help other teams turn their needs into great technology, and we give each engineer the freedom to tackle the challenges that they find most interesting.
- We move fast, with multiple releases every day and an iterative approach to developing new features and measuring their success.
- You’ll work at a tech company founded by two badass women—Our founders believe transparency is important so they really try to share as much as they can about changes to The Muse strategy, board meetings, and when they are wrestling with big company-wide decisions.
- The Muse actually has—and sticks to—a “no assholes” policy, so you can come to work everyday knowing you will always be surrounded by good people who genuinely care about you.
- We invest in growing our people—personally and professionally
- We offer unlimited vacation—and we mean it!
In an industry full of wordpress installs, our tech stack stands above the rest. We've created a custom web application that builds on:
- Python 3 and Go on the backend
- Typescript and react on the frontend
- PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch and Redis for data management
- Node.js and Ruby on Rails for various tools and services
At The Muse, we believe that great ideas come from anywhere. We support a collaborative environment and value open participation from individuals with different ideas, experiences, and perspectives. We believe having a diverse team makes The Muse a more interesting and innovative place to work, and we strive every day to make The Muse a welcoming and inclusive place for all.
If this could be your dream job, please submit a cover letter and resume, so we can get to know you a little better.