Woodstock 50 Court Ruling: Fest May Continue As Planned


On May 8, the organizers of Woodstock 50 filed for a court order against Dentsu Aegis Network, the festival’s financial partner that stepped away and stated that the event was canceled. Woodstock 50, LLC claimed that Dentsu violated an agreement by announcing the festival’s cancellation. Today, the Woodstock 50 team partially won that court battle, court documents confirm.

A judge has ruled that Dentsu had no right to announce the festival’s cancellation, so the festival may continue as planned. However, the judge clarified that Woodstock 50 “has not met the high burden entitling it to a mandatory injunction” that would return $17.8 million to the festival’s bank account. Woodstock 50, LLC previously claimed the money was “pillaged“ by the investors amidst their departure.

In court hearings this week, Dentsu’s team said they stopped working on the festival because organizers didn’t have a mass gathering permit, a finalized traffic plan, necessary road construction, an emergency response plan, or sufficient security, Billboard reports.

“Woodstock 50 is on,” said Woodstock organizer Gregory Peck in a statement. “We can’t wait to bring this important event to the public this summer. We have one of the greatest lineups of talent of any music festival, and we are grateful to all of the talent for their loyalty and support.”

“We have always relied on the truth and have never lost faith that the Festival would take place,” Woodstock co-founder Michael Lang said in a statement. “I would like to thank all of the talent and their representatives for their patience and support. Woodstock 50 will be an amazing and inspiring festival experience.”

Woodstock 50 is scheduled to take place from August 16-18 in Watkins Glen, New York. The lineup includes JAY-Z, the Killers, Chance the Rapper, Miley Cyrus, and the Raconteurs.

Read our explainer, “Woodstock 50 Is Canceled, Unless It’s Not—Here’s Why.”