Are you someone who likes to help make the world a better place, and not content going to work designing yet another service that people don't really need?
Diet Doctor was founded in 2007 by Andreas Eenfeldt, MD, who was inspired to help people eat better and live a healthier life. Beginning as a simple blog, we are now the global leader in our niche, with more than 30 full time co-workers around the world. Most of us work from our central Stockholm office.
What you may be surprised to know is that Diet Doctor is fully self-funded, and we have never taken VC money – pretty unique for a fast-growing startup that is more than doubling in size every year. This makes us fully in control of our own destiny, and not beholden to outside influence. Apart from competitive salaries and benefits, this allows us to offer all employees to buy a stake in the company regularly.
What's in it for you?
- The chance to put your best design ideas and coding skills forward, and refine the way our products and services work, look, and feel to our customers.
- A culture where we try our best to minimise meetings, and allow for long non-interrupted blocks of work-time through our dedicated Engineering Focus Time slots that are spread throughout the week.
- The opportunity to get in the company early on, helping us evolve our products and services at a moment when the company is growing very fast but still is small enough for you to make a deep personal impact.
- Shape your own role as we grow together and our needs evolve.
- Own a meaningful part of the company that you put your best work into, through our direct shares offering to employees that occur on a regular basis.
- Many interesting problems to solve, and future products & services to be designed and built – all at a global scale and with meaningful impact on people's lives.
What you'll do
- You will expand and improve our website and services, as part of the Site Team.
- You will help design and make the site beautiful and simple to use.
- You will contribute to building our team’s knowledge of different technologies, best practices, and testing methodologies.
- You will support our primary mission – delivering meaningful content and services to our users, to help them improve their health.
- The largest low-carb site in the world.
- 500k daily visits, more than doubling our traffic year over year.
- Global presence (English, Spanish, Swedish, and more coming).
- Top Google ranking for our segment.
- New iOS app (released in January 2019).
Our tech stack
- Modern frontend with new development being based primarily on React.
- Brand new microservices platform written mainly in Go & run with Kubernetes/Docker.
- GraphQL API for external clients (including our iOS app).
- Deployed on Amazon’s AWS cloud.
Who you are
- You have an excellent eye for great and usable design, and for making complicated things simple and beautiful.
- You have a passion for crafting beautiful code, with a focus on readability and maintainability.
- You have a lot of experience working as part of a fast-moving team, delivering quality code on time.
- You are a self-going and pragmatic doer who enjoys taking responsibility.
- You think holistically, being able to move from the big picture visionary level down to the details, both when designing and while implementing.
- Finally, you are someone who wants to contribute to truly make the world a better place.
- Experience with React or similar modern frameworks.
- Experience with collaborative UX/interaction design & visualisation tools (like Figma, InVision, etc).
- It's great if you have worked with TDD or similar testing methodologies – we love tests!
- Previous contribution to open source software projects and the community is highly valued.
The Engineering team that you will join is small but growing steadily. We are taking our time to find the right people, and since we're still less than a handful people it also implies that you'll be given lots of responsibility – and have an equally strong voice in both what we do and how we do it.
We strive to build our Engineering team with dedicated full-time employees, so we are currently not looking for freelancers or consultants.
You will be working primarily from our Stockholm office, at Vasagatan 40. Do you currently live somewhere else but speak excellent English? For exceptional candidates we will help with your move here, and also finding a place to live.
Timing not perfect? Reach out anyway – we’ll wait for the right person :)
Applications will be processed as soon as we receive them. We look forward to hearing from you!