The plagiarism lawsuit against the creators of “Stranger Things” is going to be dismissed, Deadline reports. Filmmaker Charlie Kessler had previously claimed in a lawsuit that series creators Matt Duffer and Ross Duffer took a central plot point for “Stranger Things” from his short film Montauk. Now, Kessler has said that he has filed a request for the suit’s dismissal. The case was scheduled to go to trial today (May 6).
When contacted by Pitchfork, a lawyer for Charlie Kessler shared the following statement:
Charlie Kessler filed a request for dismissal with prejudice of this matter and said: “After hearing the deposition testimony this week of the legal expert I hired, it is now apparent to me that, whatever I may have believed in the past, my work had nothing to do with the creation of ‘Stranger Things.’ Documents from 2010 and 2013 prove that the Duffers independently created their show. As a result, I have withdrawn my claim and I will be making no further comment on this matter.”
In addition, Netflix shared the following statement with Pitchfork:
We are glad to be able to put this baseless lawsuit behind us. As we have said all along, “Stranger Things” is a ground-breaking original creation by The Duffer Brothers. We are proud of this show and of our friends Matt and Ross, whose artistic vision gave life to “Stranger Things,” and whose passion, imagination and relentless hard work alongside our talented cast and crew made it a wildly successful, award-winning series beloved by viewers around the world.
In his original lawsuit, Charlie Kessler claimed that he and his agents pitched a Montauk-inspired series to the Matt and Ross Duffer, who apparently did not express interest in his idea. A lawyer for the Duffer Brothers later claimed that his clients did not “manifest any intent to enter into a binding agreement” with Kessler and also called Kessler’s claims “meritless.”
Read “The ‘Stranger Things’ Rip-Off Lawsuit Could Set a Perilous Precedent” on the Pitch.